Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding the detail pieces

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, Jan 26, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm starting up my business of making custom basses and guitars. I have suppliers lined up, business ready, but I lack a few details...

1) Where can I find threaded inserts for mounting behind a control cover/battery cavity? I hear hardware store, but there has to be a supplier out there who isn't as shady as my local hardware store.

2) Where can I find the larger inserts for necks along with machine screws?

3) I have accounts set up with Allparts, WD, Davitt and Hanser, EMG, Moses and order whatever else from Stewmac or LMII. Should I be in contact with anyone else?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    1 Depends on where you are, rojo!
    2 Find a furniture maker and ask there. At least bed makers use the kind of inserts you should use, and they can lead you to a suitable supplier.
    3 Yes. Everyone, reasonably close to you. And remember, smaller and closer may mean slightly more expensive, but usually much more responsive and supportive, too.

So, where are you at, rojo?

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Check with Hambone, Mod for the set up forum. He uses them in the basses that he builds and is very generous in sharing his knowledge.

Pkr2

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm in Cleveland.

Thanks, I'll check with him about that.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC