1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finding The Funk Machine Documentary

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrotherMister, Jul 1, 2014.

1. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    I'm not sure if this is the correct page or whether this post is against the rules or not so I apologise in advance for my naivety on the matter! I have just came across this documentary where they are basically setting out to find the Funk Machine. I know a few folks round here would be interested in that sort of thing and the last big documentary on the Funk Brothers didn't seem to do them any harm!

Here are all sorts of links to check out. Some of it looks pretty interesting.

http://instagram.com/findthefunk

https://twitter.com/findtheFUNK

http://www.wildmercuryproductions.com/

https://www.facebook.com/findingthefunkmachine

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm no expert, but do they have the serial number? Without that wouldn't they just be speculating considering there are a million other Fenders out there just like it?

3. You can recognize the Funk Machine by looking for basses that are really neck warped and the neck heel has 'FUNK' carved into it.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bumping this. Turns out these guys are basically right across the street from my office :)

5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Cool! It's an awesome project.

6. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I would love to see the 'Machine' surface. It easily ranks up there with Jaco's Bass of Doom, Paul's Hofner, Chris Squire's Rick ETC. Actually I would put the Funk Machine at the top of that list.

Joebone, steveinohio and petrus61 like this.
  7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is for entertainment purposes only.

The only way for them to save face is if they already have the bass and just reveal it at the end of the show.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    lefty007 likes this.
  8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'd love for this project to get somewhere. But with the huge number of vintage Fenders that have been scooped up and shipped to Japan, I'm not feeling optimistic that the Funk Machine is going to turn up anywhere in the United States.

9. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    What's funny is when you scroll down the page and see that you can get a funk machine replica, the guitar in the guy's hand is a strat.

elBandito likes this.
  10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Yeah, that needs to be fixed! They're definitely P Basses... :)

11. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    It states-"Funding unsuccessful-Project ended on 7/10/14"
    Maybe people realized that investing time (let alone money) on a documentary on something we already know the answer to is pretty pointless- kinda like that show "Finding Bigfoot"-
    Do ya think if they found Bigfoot, or the Funk Machine, that you would have to sit through a documentary to find out the outcome?

If they find Bigfoot or the Funk Machine, ya aint gonna have to sit through some show telling you
    "Looky Here!" It'll instantly show up on The Huffington Post or Talkbass.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  12. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Thursday night bump!

13. it's still an admirable project.

even if they don't find it, it will be an interesting journey.

I hope they interview people who have actually seen / recorded the actual bass.

If they can procure some cool old pics and video, would be totally worth it.

Garret Graves likes this.
  14. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Exactly, Slough! :)

15. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have to wonder if the project will be advising with Bob / Bass land? He's one of the foremost Jamerson experts out there and might be able to provide some valuable insights.

Likewise, there are also the guys behind the History Detectives on PBS that tried to authenticate an Ampeg B-15 that may have belonged to Jamerson. No doubt they and the people they consulted would be valuable in this search effort, too.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  16. Ralph Notoro

Ralph Notoro Banned

Jul 14, 2014
    Nice idea, but flawed in regard to making it the main plot.

As for JJ's bass -- it may be sitting in someone's basement who has no interest in bass or music and has no idea what it is. Then again, these days pretty much everybody knows a vintage instrument has some value, so can you imagine if they decide to just put it up on ebay for $1000? Then some kid on TB will make a post -- "Is this P bass any good?"

17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    ShoeManiac, I made sure Bob Lee was involved early on. He, James' cousin Anthony McKnight, myself, James Jr, are all involved. :)

18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    31 years ago today, my hero (and yours) James Lee Jamerson passed. A genius the likes of which will never be seen again. Like Marvin said, 'BASS, PERSONIFIED'... I do all I can every day to ensure his name and his flame burn brightly. This little FB page:https://www.facebook.com/groups/jamesjamersonfans/
    Well, it started as a little thing just to do my part, and I'm so pleased to see how it has grown. And my license plate always gets attention, and when folks ask what it means, I'm more than happy to tell them the story. Then they hear all that great Motown music in a different light. JAMES' LIGHT! ... James, down here, there's more love than ever for you, and it's growing daily. You left us with a beautiful, tremendous body of work, with your heart and soul stamped in each of those thousands of songs. So many, that we'll never hear them all in our lifetime. Rest in peace, brother....
    [​IMG]

19. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I think it is pretty pointless to try to find that thing. It is just a bass and one with a warped neck and sky high action ... I guess to some people it would be important but to me the tool isn't important, the music.

eqvolvorama likes this.
  20. James Jamerson on the cheapest bass you can find would sound more like James Jamerson than the best bass player you can find on the funk machine.