finding the key

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Insighted02, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Here there everybody at TB....

Can somebody help me with finding a decent lesson? I've been trying to find a lesson online about methods of distinguishing the keys of songs. It's something that I run into all the time. I'll be playing with somebody with their own songs and the guitarist usually just knows his riffs as he wrote them.

2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome to Talkbass.

To answer your question, I tend to look at the key signature. :D

There's a thread about this somewhere in GI. Try a search. I'll look too, and if I find it I'll post again.

As far as lessons, there's a thread about that too. I think it's in the Newbie's Link thread at the top of this forum. You're in Santa Fe huh? Is it as nice as they say?
  3. Thank you for your help.

I thought that you could distinguish the key of a piece by figuring out what scale the chord progression fits into and therein finding the key to construct the bass line. For example.......if the chord progression went C D E G .........the key would be.............Cmaj...........

From there I would have the scale to work with and construct the bass line.

Oh, and by the way, I've been on here a while...........

My opinion of santa fe is bias because I've been here too long unfortinetly......:) I'll get to that more later.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you need to know what type of chords they are - major, minor, dominant, (half-)diminished etc And then their function in the harmony - that will help you determine the key.

But if you're trying to find notes for a bass line - then just use the notes in each chord - take each chord on its merits and see what notes fit with the notes included within that chord.