Finding the perfect Barts for me

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matteran, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi, I'm in the process of picking out various options for a custom bass. And I've come to pickups. I love everything about Barts, so I'm going to get them.

I have a Tobias Growler, and absolutely love the pickup/preamp on this bass.

What standard Bart pickup would be closest to this pickup? How could I add a little bit midrange (adding another pickup?).

Also, what Bart pre-amp would you recommend?

(The wood I'm going to get is a Mahogany core, with Wenge facings). I want a growly midsy agressive tone. With clear highs, but not harsh. I generally play with a pick, and my attack is very heavy, to get the agressive tone I like.
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I don't reconmend the Bart Pre-amp. There are much better. It's a decent pre-amp, but if you save your pennies you can get an aguilar or a demeter. I'm currently debating between the 2. I was very upset with the high end roll off on the Barts. I had the Bart 9K's with a bart pre-amp (stacked one, vol/vol mid/pushpull bass/treble). I find that my dimarzio ultra jazz's are much better. And I am planning on picking up a pair of NJ4SE's or dark starts and modding my bass.

Adding mid range- Demeter has some Mid-range thing I think, that supposivly boosts mid-range. What pickup route are looking to do? Personally im a J/J kinda guy, but if I ever get another bass it'll be a MM/j(like the J.J./J) or something to that effect.
  3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    personally, I'd go for any route besides J/J

Two humbuckers, or a MM and a J, whatever.

I'll look into the demeter, thanks. If I wanted a very flat response from the Bart pickups, should I stay away from the brighter versions of a given pickup?

I.E. I want a certain humbucker, and it has versions of the pickup that are brighter, should I stay away from that? Or do the brighter versions just mean a clearer/less vintage sound?