Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding the perfect Barts for me

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matteran, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi, I'm in the process of picking out various options for a custom bass. And I've come to pickups. I love everything about Barts, so I'm going to get them.

I have a Tobias Growler, and absolutely love the pickup/preamp on this bass.

What standard Bart pickup would be closest to this pickup? How could I add a little bit midrange (adding another pickup?).

Also, what Bart pre-amp would you recommend?

(The wood I'm going to get is a Mahogany core, with Wenge facings). I want a growly midsy agressive tone. With clear highs, but not harsh. I generally play with a pick, and my attack is very heavy, to get the agressive tone I like.

2. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I don't reconmend the Bart Pre-amp. There are much better. It's a decent pre-amp, but if you save your pennies you can get an aguilar or a demeter. I'm currently debating between the 2. I was very upset with the high end roll off on the Barts. I had the Bart 9K's with a bart pre-amp (stacked one, vol/vol mid/pushpull bass/treble). I find that my dimarzio ultra jazz's are much better. And I am planning on picking up a pair of NJ4SE's or dark starts and modding my bass.

Adding mid range- Demeter has some Mid-range thing I think, that supposivly boosts mid-range. What pickup route are looking to do? Personally im a J/J kinda guy, but if I ever get another bass it'll be a MM/j(like the J.J./J) or something to that effect.

3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    personally, I'd go for any route besides J/J

Two humbuckers, or a MM and a J, whatever.

I'll look into the demeter, thanks. If I wanted a very flat response from the Bart pickups, should I stay away from the brighter versions of a given pickup?

I.E. I want a certain humbucker, and it has versions of the pickup that are brighter, should I stay away from that? Or do the brighter versions just mean a clearer/less vintage sound?