Finding The Right Amp Rack Case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terbay, Jun 6, 2005.

1. terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Need a little counseling on a new amp rack... Weight is always an issue, but quality is equally important... Which would be the best bang for the buck.

-> SKB
    -> Gator
    -> MTS
    -> Grundorf (A little Heavy)
    -> Sonic

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
  2. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have a four space gator roller rack. it's been sturdy and reliable but i have a couple criticisms. first, no back rails. Second, it's huge, and heavy. I've gone to using a four space rack bag, which is lighter but less durable.

Someone explain to me why rack cases are so oversized--the gator case is at least six inches longer/deeper than it needs to be to rack a power amp like a sterwart or a QSC PLX
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, it depends on what is going to go inside. For heavier, or longer, items, I tend to prefer Anvil cases. For lighter, shallower items, I like the standard Gator racks (which are actually nicely compact).

4. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    I have a 4 space SKB (rotomolded) that I'm fairly happy with, it has no rear rails, but the amp rests on the bottom of the rack so it seems to be a nonissue. They one inprovment I would like to see would be a gasket around the front and rear cover and that the covers fit a little more snugly. It's not badly proportioned, and the wieght with an Ampeg SVT3 Pro, Alessis Midiverb and a Furman line contioner, is quite manageable. In all I'd rather have an Anvil but cost and availablity were an issue. Oh, I did have to mod the front cover to get the Ampeg n since it has a curvy front panel that interfered with the cover fit.
  5. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I've got a slightly older SKB Roto that I bought from someone on here for like $30 that I am really happy with. I wanted to get a cheap, but durable rack because I wanted to take my Behringer head out of it's box and install it in a rack case, which I knew ment putting a few holes in the case. I'm really happy with how well it's performed for me and I love the fact that I can stack other stuff on it and not worry about my stuff inside, or on occasion other people have accidentally dropped stuff on it and I have never had an issue with anything damaging the amp/ tuner in it. God Bless! -Brad
  6. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

All of mine are DIY...(Yea, I'm cheep) BUT lately I have been considering others...I learned that SKB has two different quality levels and that the low quality (low cost) appears to be not all that good and the higher quality is much better...

Anyone have any other input here???

One of the things that is holding me back from buying a rack sight unseen is that few stores have any in stock, they will be glad to order but I can do that myself, i would like to feel it and get and idea of what flexes and what doesn't and how much...

I have used Anvil on the road and others like that but it seems silly to put a 26 lb amp in a 50 lb case.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Back when I had the time to do so, I used to build my own racks. Definitely the way to go, if you have the time, equipment, and meager skills required.

8. terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Has anyone tried one of the new Grundorf Mighty Lights... 4u -> 12lbs, more durable than your standard plastic SKB or Gator (at least that's what Grundorf says)
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    SKB Roll-X works great for me. They might be a bit heavy to lift, but most of my amp hauling happens on flat-land, so the wheels and pull-out luggage style handle DEFINITELY make up for the extra weight.
  10. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I just bought a Mighty Light Deep for my Stewart. Will let you know when I recieve it. I was going to buy a roto rack from SKB but have heard, probably from someone without any expertise, that they were not a long term choice. I am a lot like forest gump- any way the wind blows.

anyway, they are pretty cheap and compete with the SKB Roto Rack on price.

11. terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    7thBass, I heard the same thing... The plastic cases don't hold up in the long term. But throwing a 20lb bass rig into a 23lb Grundorf didn't sound too fun... Please let me know about your mighty light... I'm curious to hear what kind of material they're using and if the latches and hardware are quality.
  12. I've been using the normal SKB racks with no problems for years. What kind of problems are people seeing?

A hammer on the fixed part of the latch (on case not cover) to increase the tension has cured any loose latches. Gently is a good idea there.

13. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    are you talking about loose latches on SKB cases? I cant seem to get mine tighter.
  14. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Just a couple weeks ago I received a custom order Calzone 3 space rack for my WT550 and Furman PL8. It is modeled after the old Anvil AFX cases. Very light weight, Both covers weigh less than one cover from my Road Ready 4U case. You can get it any depth, I ordered it 14" deep and it only cost $128 bucks shipped. It is not the most rugged case but should hold up well. It does have the external latches mounted on the body but they don't rattle. No affiliation with Calzone just a happy customer.

15. Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    7thbass, did you get the rack yet? I'm considering a Mighty Light for my Stewart amp, and I wanted to make sure it fit in the regular size case (I don't want to have to get the deep one). Let me know how it's working for you. Thanks.
  16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I've got a 4U Mighty Lite. The one thing I don't like about it is that the lid on that back is just pressure fit. I am thinking about going to a Schroeder rack in the near future so that it will lock in with my cabinet when I have it sitting on top. I also had a SKB Roll-X before the Grundorf. It wouldn't sit right on top of my cabinet so I sold it.
  17. Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    7thbass, just saw your post in another thread that answered my question. I need a more compact case that will still accomodate the Stewart, even if it's a heavier case.
  18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've had SKB hard cases, Groove Pack (rack bag), Gator rack bag and Gator hard shell. Of the hard shell, I prefer the SKB. I currently use the Gator 4U rack back on my main rig and like that the most out of all of them. Very durable, light weight, well padded and less supseptable to shock as opposed to a hard case, nice zipper pocket, heavy padded handles and shoulder strap. It's the way to go for sub-50 lbs heads/rigs.
  19. Derakh Djinn

Derakh Djinn

May 23, 2005
    hey Quad, my groovebass bud, I've never used a rack bag before, do you have any problems with settings on your amp getting moved a lot with it?

20. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004

They sell some cheap Legion Sound cases that do quite well, although theres not much in stock ATM. I'm currently using an 8U Legion Sound rack that has held up great after a year but weighs a ton.