Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding the right Bass Amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by youngblues83, Jul 12, 2001.

1. youngblues83

youngblues83

Jul 12, 2001
    I am a guitar player that has been selected to buy guitar and bass amps for an arts based middle school. I have the guitar amps covered but I don't know much about bass amps. I know that anything over 150 watts would be too much, and we don't want the best amp but we don't want a crappy starter amp. If anyone has a suggestion about what I need to be looking for or an amp that you think would be perfict please contact me. youngblues83@hotmail.com My name is Mike

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    It looks like you are looking something like a Peavey TNT/TKO combo or one of those new fender Bassmen (or would it be Bassmans?). The TNTs are around $300+ (new) and are 80 and 120 Watts (or is it 160 or 140?) and they have chorus and all the other usual stuff: eq, etc. There are also the Bassmans that have a few models. There is a 60 watt model that has a 112T (one 12" speaker and a tweeter) which i don't know the exact price, but i think it between $350-$400 new. And there is a 100 watt that is 115T, that is 450-550 new, and there are also 200 Watt (maybe 300W) and 400 watt models. They come with built-in compression. You may want to look in the used market though.

3. Do what he/she said above I have no idea. I'm just trying yo get my posts up.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    That was lame.

Well, I actually think 150 Watts is not enough for most venues.
    Is better to have more, than less in an unexpected situation.

I suggest a Carvin RC210 Combo , or a Cyclops.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I would suggest a Fender Bassman 200. It's 200 watts, has one 15 inch speaker and a horn, along with numerous other features. Musicians Friend lists it for 629.99.

By the way....when choosing a bass amp, bass watts aren't like guitar watts.....150 guitar watts it a pretty good amount of power, but 150 bass watts really isn't all that much, and in most situations isn't enough.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    guys keep in mind youngblues said 'for an arts based middle school'. i don't think he's gonna need 600w. i'm sure there's a budget here.

i think the carvin 160w 15" combo would be a good choice for 400 bux. www.carvin.com

the bassman 60 or 100 wouldn't be a bad choice.

go easy on me, but i always shy away from peavy...

oh - GK 400rb/1x12 combo would be suitable - it costs about 550 from www.musiciansfriend.com

ampeg 100w 1x15 - what's the model, b100?

7. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ampeg ba115

8. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  9. youngblues83

youngblues83

Jul 12, 2001
    Thanks captainpabst for all the info you have supplied. I agree to stay away from Peavy. Right now I am going between the Carvin and a Hartke kickback combo. If you have any info on Hartke amps, I would like to know. Thanks again for all your help.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    At my former middle school, we had a Trace-elliot comando amp. It was good for some jazz band stuff. At my High School they have a SWR Strawberry Blonde. It works well for jazz band as well. I prefere the SWR over the Trace-Elliot, but that is my opinion. The SWR is probably a bit more $$$.

I'm not a huge fan of Carvin and Hartke, but there are a few at this board.

11. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe you should check out the Warwick CL combo amp. It's priced a bit higher than other combos in its category, but the extra money would be well spent. This combo has 1 12" speaker, HF horn, 150 watts RMS, and weighs only 45 lbs! Plus it's built like a boulder and can handle alot of abuse. With only a few EQ settings, you can easily find a sound you like without spending hours figuring out what certain knobs do. This is a great combo for smaller to medium sized gigs. IMHO you should look into it :). Hope I've been of some assisstance :D.

-FSR

12. First of all, 150 watts might not be enough for large rooms. You have to keep in mind that it takes about 3x the power to make the same amount of noise with a bass as it does with a guitar.

While I would personally not use Peavy bass amps, I highly recommend them for your situation. When it comes to durability and reliability it's hard to beat Peavy. The damned things are bullet-proof and for use in a school, the longivity of a piece of equipment outweighs it's 'audiophile' performance. Don't get me wrong, Peavy Bass amps sound fine and are well respected, but they're not the best you can do as far as sound goes. When you consider the price, performance and durability...Peavy is the way to go.

13. Ampeg BA-115: Versatile, durable, good all around sound.

100 watts with a 15" and a tweeter, XLR out, headphone jack, 3 band EQ with a 5 position switch for boosting or cutting certain frequencies quickly

I'm guessing a new one could be had for about $400.

14. Our school uses a Hartke 12 Kickback. Its 120W and well priced and does very well for our jazz concerts in the auditorium, which is pretty large. I enjoy playing with that thing, and when I am not playing my sax, I'll play the bass through that. Also, I would recommend the Bassman 200, 100, or 60. Those are not too loud, and are well priced from 400-700.00. I would go with the Hartke though, it is really nice. It all depends on the size of venue though. If you wanna be safe go with a Ampeg 212 Combo, 200W, or Fender Bassman 200.

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ampeg makes a 2x12 bass combo? No they don't.