Finding the "RIGHT" bass head for SWR 4x10 cabinet. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Seanzilla42, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Found a sweet deal on an SWR Goliath II cab (8 ohm) that is in GREAT condition. Love the sound of them (when they used to be in the stores back in the day). Now, I'm looking for a good matching bass head. I'm good with buying used, so no problem there.

Most of the music I play is more Funk-Jazz-Fusion oriented. I like the Marcus Miller / Mark King kind of tones and styles. I'm just at a loss as to where to start with choices. I've been looking at Hartke, SWR, MarkBass, and TC Electronic units.

My budget is $400 or less (if possible).

Would like to read any ideas or suggestions y'all have. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. **crickets**

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    GK 700RBII. If a little over your budget, try the Fender Rumble 500 or Bugera Veyron (Mofset version, clean power).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Seanzilla42 likes this.
  4. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Occasionally I still use my SWR Galieth 4x10 cab with Ampeg SVT-3 PRO head.... excellent combination... I get lots of compliments...
    Only that my SWR cab is a 4 Ohm cab.....lots of punch !!
    You mention the SWR you have in mind is 8 Ohms... So that would typically pair up with another cab to make 4 ohm load for amp...or just use it at 8 Ohms with reduced power from head... I tried a Mark Bass head my Galieth cab and it matched up real well..

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Pick up a used SWR SM400 for around 300 and you’ll have a classic, iconic, flexible rig.

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  6. Thanks for the suggestions so far! I really appreciate it.

I've been thinking about using my bass interface that I use in my home studio (see pic). 2018-05-24 07.52.01.jpg It has a great sound and quite versatile. So...I'm thinking about using a power amp with it. I was looking at the Crown XLS1002 and running it bridged to the 4x10. Do you think this will work out okay?

7. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
  8. Yup get a decent power amp.

Eugene.thomas87 and Seanzilla42 like this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Who knows he or she might ship.

10. So...do you think the Crown XLS1002 would be a good choice?
    At 8 ohm bridged...it is rated at 700 watts. The cabinet handles 400W. Thoughts?

11. Crown is good stuff.
    To me...a power amp is clean wattage. If you like your tone with the setup you have, you’re good to go!

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  12. Okay...I think I'll do that. The Crown is $259.00 right now on Amazon. I'll try it out.

But...if it sucks...I'm blaming you! LOL!! :D:D:D

13. Amazon has a great return policy!
    Also Craig’s list, used in your area, or borrow a power amp to see if you like it.

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  14. $259.00? That’s pretty reasonable.

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  15. Ordered. Plus a 3-year all-inclusive warranty (damage, accidental) for $14.95. Not too shabby. :)

16. There’s lots of way to go with your cab. They are all good choices. I like them all. I like gear.
    I like all cabs and amps. They are just different. But I like em.
    Post pics when you get it! If you like it, maybe get a small rack case.
    I’ve been know to build them...
    32755773-D0FB-4EBB-9FA2-447DF53EE32F.jpeg

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  17. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    SWR SM400. What I used with my Goliath 4X10 for 20+ years.

Seanzilla42 likes this.
  18. Gorgeous setup! My deadly sin (ENVY) has been triggered!
    The top effect unit you have -- is that a Yamaha or Roland or..?

I enjoy my TC G-Major quite a bit. Just got the FCB-1010 midi pedal with EurekaPro EPROM upgrade. Still fiddling with it.

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I actually use a Crown XLS 1002 as the power amp for my SWR GP, and I usually bridge it into my Goliath II. Sounds great, plenty of headroom, and pushes the cab nicely. Make sure you set the sensitivity appropriately to get full power from the amp.

Seanzilla42 likes this.