Finding the right rack!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonasp, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Hey TB...i'm looking to get a good rack. I think my biggest component is probably my power amp (14 inches deep). Anyway, I plan to get a Furman power conditioner also and maybe someday a rack tuner. I have a BBE BMax pre.

So my question, anyone know of any racks close to 14-15 inches deep? I know the racks on Rondo are something like 16.5 inches deep, so thats probably the closest contender. I was looking at MF racks, but they are 22" deep.

Does it bother you guys that have equipment racks if the rack is 7-8" deeper than your gear? Maybe im just being too picky. Anyone know off hand how deep a furman power cond. is? how bout (korg/other) rack tuners?

Anyway, give me some suggestions, if you know any racks around 15" deep. Oh, btw, im looking for a 6 space.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd rather have too deep than too shallow. :p

I like the SKB Roto Racks: reasonably inexpensive, and reasonably sturdy. I don't know if I'd trust one if I wasn't moving my own gear, but I move my own gear. I have a 4 space and a 6 space.
  3. I think im going to get the MF rack. Do you guys know if they come with rack rails? Do all racks come with rails? I talked to a guy at MF and he said they rails are built into the case and he doesnt believe they can be removed (like for power amp space). I asked if all racks have them built in, he said he thinks so.

Can you guys shed some light on this?

EDIT: rack rails help support gear inside the rack right? like preamps and stuff? or dont i need "rails" to support preamps? i just thought my pre (BMAX) is only about 10" and i would like more support for it.

EDIT part 2: rack rails are wha you screw your gear into in the front of the rack. Do they even make something to support your gear from hanging just from the front of it?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    honestly most 1 space rack gear is under 15 lbs and does just fine w/o any additional support besides the 4 front screws
    furman power conditioners are maybe 10 inches deep, korg tuners are far less than that
  5. I emailed the place i bought mt Power amp from. He said i should use rear supports for the amp. what are these supports called? can i get them online anywhere?
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I have my poweramp in the bottom of my rack it's the deepest component at that for me. My rack is a Gator 6 Space Roller Rack. I am glad i got this rack since it has the pull out luggage handle and wheels. If you haven't bought a rack yet-check them out. I think they go for around $140 or so new. I bought mine off of here for $75 [i think] shipped.

The rear supports-i don't have a clue what to tell you about where to get them. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than i will post about it though.

That's all
  7. See, what i was thinking is that i really wont need and rear supports for my power amp, seeing on how it will be on the bottom of the rack. I am just wondering on the other, shorter components of the rack. Like Ivan said, I might not need extra support, but im still looking into it, if anyone has more info!

8. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    When mounting an amp it's always a good idea to have rear rails to mount to. It's not nessasary for a Furman or a tuner.
    The SKB rack at the top of this page is the one you want. The RotoRacks only have front rails.
  9. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    That'll work as long as you carry the rack flat holding both sides, but what if it's set on the side when loading up for transport to & from a gig?
  10. How do you think the CNB case from Rondo would work? Its pretty similar to the SKB, its 16.5" from front to rear rail, although im sure the SKB is higher quality, but i dont have a lot of money for a rack.
    Also, i plan on moving the rack myself just to ensure a safe journey for my gear.
  11. Your not likely going to ever buy a piece of gear that will be deeper than your poweramp I don't think, so you can pretty much use that as you benchmark for size.

Another option, and one that a few of my friends here have gone with, is just to build the rack yourself. You can buy some lumber, rack rails, and carpeting or whatever you want to cover it with yourself. It'd probably be more sturdy than the SKB racks too.
  12. Thats what im thinking too, so im just trying to find a good fitting rack for me power amp. Im really just looking for a rack that will keep it secure.

Anyone have info on the things that i can put behind my preamp/other gear to make it more stable? Im still intersted in that, but probably wont buy any.
  13. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  14. I thought it would be good. Its pretty close to the size of the amp. I just re-measured the amp because i didnt measure the amp with the little mounting 'ears' on the back of the amp. Its actually closer to 15". So it will fit pretty good, and with the rear door on it, i can leave the cables set up. I am proabably over thinking this, but are there any cons to leaving cables set up in the rack? ie from pre to power amp?
  15. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Guys, I recently found out (the hard way) that the CNB racks only LOOK like SKB road racks. The plastic is actually a lot cheaper, and plain to see when you get one in person. I ordered a CNB and it was damaged during shipping. Yes, that's right, the front lid got badly cracked. I was surprised that a rack case could crack so easily from being dropped while empty, but it did. I mean ***? They are supposed to be road racks, right? The SKB plastic looks alot tougher. I just bought a SKB (hopefully it's on it's way!!) to replace my cracked CNB.

16. Holy smokes! Maybe I should look at a different brand of case. Anyone know of a cheaper brand of rack besides rotorack (i hear they are not too high of quality and imagine they are around par with CNB)?

Or what if i got the aluminum CNB case? would that be any better?
  17. Upon further inspection of the aluminum CNB, it only has 1 handle. So that's kinda out of the question.