1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finerstyle funk bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mr mastodon, Oct 21, 2009.

1. i'm a huge jamerson fanatic and have worked on a lot of his lines. trying to get a hold of the book on duck dunn. anyways, i'm looking for artists, albums and songs with great fingerstyle funk lines. sort of in the vein of "good times" or "oil in the ground" (the only tower of power song i've heard).

any recommendations? i hardly know any prestia or chic lines, so if y'all have some recs there. anything is welcome really.

hope this is in the right forum. :ninja:

edit: sorry about misspelling the title. i am a schmo. :(

2. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    It does not get much better than Prestia and Edwards for old school finger-style funk.

Check out some of the recordings by Groove Collective, Brand New Heavies and Incognito. All three are considered Acid Jazz groups, but their bass players are awesome at laying down the finger-style funk.

3. cool. will do.

any particular ToP/CHIC records you'd recommend off the top of your head. again, thanks so much! :D

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Rocco, mos def!

This will seem odd, but I'll mention Peter "Mars" Cowling of the Pat Travers Band. They did a progressive hard rock kinda thing, but could still be funky in a rock way. The live "Go For What You Know" album is classic.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
  6. awesome! thanks a ton for the suggestions, guys! i'll check each and every one of 'em out. :D

7. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    PMd you on the Duck Dunn book

8. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Paul Jackson of the Headhunters, of course.

9. Muyy

Muyy

Sep 4, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    jaco, like he needed to be mentioned.... and a guy ive been getting into recently is gary willis, with tribal tech

10. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Also, Jerry Jemmott

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Paul Jackson with the Headhunters!

12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The two Chic albums to have are "C'est Chic" and "Risqué", but it's also worth having the "Dance, Dance, Dance: The Best Of " compilation on Atlantic Records for some other songs not on those other two albums ("Everybody Dance" is a killer track featuring Edwards' "chucking" style). The Sister Sledge album "We Are Family" is definitely worth picking up also.

My favourite TOP album is "Back To Oakland".

You definitely have to check out some Earth, Wind & Fire. I'd recommend "That's The Way Of The World" and "All 'N' All" - two classics that showcase the great talent of Verdine White.

Me'shell Ndegéocello - one of THE funkiest players ever. Check out "Plantation Lullabies":

13. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    If you're gonna get into ROCCO then you should check out his instructional video - it's called Fingerstyle Funk. You can't get it on DVD but you CAN get it as a downloadable M4V file (so it will play on your computer, your iPod, your IPhone) - that's very cool.

Also he did a book called SITTING IN with Rocco that's worth getting too. And there's a published book with a string of his basslines in notation and tab form. It hink it's called TOWER OF POWER for bass.

Off the top of my head here's a top 5 Rocco tracks to check out:

1) Credit - amazing fingerstyle shuffle
    2) What Is Hip - nuff said?
    3) Only So Much Oil IN THe Ground - amazing tune, great bassline. Marlowe just did a playalong on www.youplayalong.com - very inspirational
    4) Mr Toad's Wild Ride - from the Monster on A Leash album. Anm instrumental check. GREAT bassline
    5) Happy Bout That - From Oakland Zone. Another great shuffle line.

HTH