Finger and Arms Muscle Strength

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 27, 2001.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    well its kinda obvious what this forum is going to be about. i was wondering what exersizes you can do to build up strength in your fingers and/or arms. im just asking because id like to know how i can get stronger in my arms
    well thanks
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    i can think of one thing you can do...

just remember to alternate hands so you get a nice even workout.
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    In a word....Yoga!
    You'd be surprised how much arm and finger strength some of the poses build.
    My yoga teacher is in her mid forties,......with the body of a 19 year old!
  4. Maybe she should give it back! :D

:insert rim shot:
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'll second the Yoga advice. I've been doing it for over 3 years (I'm still a beginner) and it's not only made me stronger and more flexible, I play better now as well.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I think it was George Burns:
    Tonight I'm feeling like a 20-year, I think I'll have two 20-year olds.
  7. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Hit the weights!!

Any upper body exercize will strengthen your forearms and grip, by association. It takes strength and muscular endurance to grip and hold weights as you manipulate them throughout your workout sets.

So... just get on a weight-training program. Instead of just hitting your forearms, why not strenthen your whole body?

If you don't want to do this, here are some specific forearm exercizes...

* Hammer curls - hold dumbells in both hands and alternate curls from standing position - keeping the dumbells perpendicular to the floor. This takes the lifting away from the biceps and transfers it to the upper forearm

* reverse-grip curls - hold a light barbell over the edge of a bench with your palms facing down. Lift and lower from the wrist, the weight until fatigued beyond capability of doing any more. This hits the back of your forearm.

* forearm curls - Same as reverse grip, but turn your palms upward and rest the bar on them. east wrists downward allowing the bar to roll down to your finger tips. Then curl it back up into your hands and contract your muscles to bring your wrist all the way up. Hold for a second and repeat.

* fingertip pushups - this will make your hands strong for obvious reasons.

* Beating off non-stop. Admittedly, this is the easiest and most enjoyable of the exercizes, so use this as your finisher. TIP - lotion prevents chaffing. eh.... so I've heard.
  8. Get a big amp with no casters. I'm not joking, I'm serious. My forearms grew alot stronger from carrying my amp around.

Also, I'll second the weights; try bar curls, palms up and palms down.
  9. Weights are good, they work for me, especially pulling exercizes because you have to grip harder (chinups, pullups, back rowing, etc.). And I'll take Pacmans word for it about yoga, I've never heard anything bad about it.
  10. Play a lot of video games that use control pads...this increases hand-eye co-ordination as well. Do this after working out, helps you relax.

P.S. This was my 500th post.:D:D:D:D
  11. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    the more time I spend on this board, the more I realise I know nothing about the bass. I know you need to have strong forearms to play the bass, but specifically why? I mean, how does that muscle group matter more than others, cause essentially you're using your fingers, not really your whole arms...
  12. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    The muscles in your forearms control the contractile strength (grip) of your hands and fingers.
  13. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I wonder if having played piano for six years would have excersised some of the muscles needed for bass or not....
  14. Playing piano I would guess uses mostly the same muscles, all except the thumb grip motion. Just feel the top of your forearm while you clench your fist and you can feel the muscles moving.

Practicing is probably the best exercise though, for obvious reasons. First of all, you're practicing, and also you're simulating the exact same motion you're trying to improve. Plus you're building your callouses.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Also, IIRC, the hands contain no muscles at all, only tendons, which are controlled by the muscles in the forearm.
  16. Try this one... Look at the bottom of your wrist and clench/unclench your fist, you can SEE:eek: your muscles move!
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Not to be a smarty pants, but there are indeed muscles in the hand.

They are primarily on the palm. These are mostly flexor muscles which allow you to close your hand (make a fist etc.). There are some on the back of the hand, but mostly tendons connected to the forearm controlling the extension and abduction motions of the hand and fingers.

It is important to build muscle strength, endurance, and flexibility in the entire area to prevent cramping.
  18. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    With all due respect, I don't believe you really need much physical strength to play bass.

I do, however believe you need a lot of stamina to play for very long at a time.

Wind sprints for bass players? Nah, there's definitely not a shortage of wind. :)

I doubt that any of us have much trouble fretting and picking a bass. It does take a long time to be able to play long, fast numbers without tiring.

Maybe the best exercize is just to play the bass a lot. Seems to have worked for me. I would be classified as a physical wimp at 5' 3" and 135 pounds but I can play for hours and hours on either the steam heated electric or the URB without any serious fatigue.

I could be wrong but I believe that fatigue when playing has more to do with technique than physical strength.

I am really interested in Yoga but I don't know anything about it.