Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger condition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Hey, I was just wondering how you lot toughened your fingers up? Did you just play until it hurt or did you do it another way. I heard a story about a dude who glued his fingers to his arm and then ripped them off to toughen the ends up. I personally used a combination of playing hard and doing a lot of sliding.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, I personally think playing bass is the best way to toughen your fingers. And, yup, slides will toughen those callouses fast. I don't believe in "artificial" means such as, what, super glue or cheese graters (ala Steve Corino) or sandpaper. There's no need for that and it could cause injury and infection which would be a setback. In bass, there are no shortcuts, no GOOD shortcuts, anyway.

Both the Iron Maiden bass player and Billy Sheehan have said that when they first start a concert tour, their fingers get so sore they bleed, but then once they heal, the callouses protect them. If you have masochistic tendencies, you could play until your fingertips bleed. I've done it, but it "ain't pretty."

Anyway, since you are a Mick Foley fan, have a nice day.
    I'm a Jerichoholic myself! Jason Oldsted

3. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I have to agree there are no shortcuts. I've been playing for about 5 years, the last 2 doing serious gigs, and i've never had any pain or blisters, so for me it's just been building up the toughness of my fingers over a period of time.......However perhaps the type of treatment given to toughen conkers (horse chessnuts)could be applied to this situation......although i don't like the idea of covering my fingers with vinegar and sticking them in the oven for hours!!!

Pedro

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I built my callouses playing acoustic guitar so I already had them when I first picked up the bass.

5. Actually, I got my callouses when I was trying to play guitar for a year, and then when I picked up a bass they seemed to disappear.

6. RÅFTY

RÅFTY

Apr 8, 2000
    i used to get bad blisters and bleeding fingers on my right hand until i was introduced to the wonderful world of picks, i have never looked back.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't have noticable callouses, my finger seem pretty soft. I have no idea why. I got a couple of blisters back in the 70's when I first started playing, haven't had any since. My fingers are very tough without callouses...how weird is that?:D

8. I've been playing for just under 2 years and my fingers seemed to be suitable for just practicing. I've now started playing in a band and they hurt like hell for a few houres after practice. I think they are getting tougher though because it doesn't hurt as much. They're soft too (unusual). My right hand index and middle fingers have taken a battering from constant popping but they are ok, I just spend 10-20 minutes every night just playing 'Purple Stain' by rhcp, Use every finger to slide. I think it's working too.
    It's cool when you can play 8 hard songs in a row and not be tired or be in pain.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Osama:

It sounds to me as you're playing too hard. if you've been playing around two years, you should be able to get a good sound out of your bass without much effort. Just play the notes and let your amp do the work. Pain is your body's way of telling you something's not right, and that's a message you want to hear if you want to enjoy playing all your life.

People, fill out your profiles!

Will C.:cool:

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've been playing for about 3-4 years & lately i've got hardened finger tips but the last few days the tip of my finger @ the tip of the nail it kinda hurts,probably just cut my nails to short.

11. Col_Forbin

Col_Forbin

Aug 14, 2000
    i've always used this rule, esp to telling ppl who might just be starting out...play until it hurts, then stop...
    strength builds in incriments...

if you've been playing for a longer period of time, think about how long a gig you have usually is...and practice for that amount of time per day so your fingers are used to that long of an exposure to stainless steel wire *LOL*