Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger Cramps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JLeeFJ, Jul 22, 2000.

1. JLeeFJ

JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    Sometimes, while practicing, I get these horrible cramps in my left hand. They only appear when I practice scales, and even then only on my pinky and along the side of my hand. Is my finger just weak and needs to get excercise? Or can I just ignore it since it only appears after scale practicing after about two minutes?

------------------
    "My hovercraft is full of eels." -John Cleese

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I would not ignore any kind of pain at all. I have a problem with my outer 2 fingers on my left hand. After many office visits and many tests I have found out that it is a nerve problem similar to CTS that is in the outer part of my elbow. If I were you I wouldn't ignore it.

Chris A. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin

3. There are some stretching exersices that you can do before you practice. Try putting your hand straight out in front of you palm vertical like your telling some one to stop. The gently use your other hand to stretch the tops of your fingers back towards you. After a couple of repeat with your hand in the same position except with the fingers of your hand pointing strainght down.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I had a similar problem...my fretting hand would not cramp, but it would go numb. My band had a very fast song which required not only speed, but tremendous agility and stamina to play. If I had had one drink, I mean a rum and coke before practice, I simply could not play that song, my fingers would get so numb and all speed was lost, plus strentgth. Jason Oldsted

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I had a similar problem...my fretting hand would not cramp, but it would go numb. My band had a very fast song which required not only speed, but tremendous agility and stamina to play. If I had had one drink, I mean a rum and coke before practice, I simply could not play that song, my fingers would get so numb and all speed was lost, plus strentgth. Jason Oldsted

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JLeeFJ:
    Sometimes, while practicing, I get these horrible cramps in my left hand. They only appear when I practice scales, and even then only on my pinky and along the side of my hand. Is my finger just weak and needs to get excercise? Or can I just ignore it since it only appears after scale practicing after about two minutes?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jlee: I've played URB for the last 41 years and I've dealt with more hand cramps than you would ever believe. I don't know whether you've ever played URB or not but it requires a LOT of stamina. Much more so than E.B.

A guitar player gave me this tip over 25 years ago and it was a life saver to me.

When your hand starts to cramp, put a little table salt in the palm of your hand and take a good healthy lick. I didn't think it would help when he made the suggestion. It does!

Another good tip. Before you start practice or just before a set, run cold water over your hands and wrists. In recent years I have started using Gator-Aid instead of salt. It seems to work as well as salt.

I agree with the poster who said that no pain should be ignored. I agree. Hand injuries are a very real threat especially before good technique becomes second nature. The type of discomfort that should sound a warning is numbness, pain that occurs in the hands even when you're not playing and a feeling that your hand (hands) are waking up from having been asleep.

I see from your profile that you've been playing since Oct,'99. If you practice every day you really shouldn't cramp after only two minutes of scale practice. That is, unless there is a technique problem.

I would suggest having a GOOD instructor look at your technique. It's easy to form bad habits in the first year or two. It can be a real B**** to unlearn them if you wait too long.

Good luck.

Frog

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Stretching and proper technique!

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1.

Warm up stretches are important before and after a playing session. Also, make sure that you are not pressing down too hard on the strings and that you are not holding the neck in a death grip. Keeping well hydrated also helps.