1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finger dexterity exercise (Kreutzer for bass)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Otso, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I recently had the idea of using some of Kreutzer's violin etudes as a way of practicing bassplaying. An etude is a composition for practicing technique. So, here's Kreutzer's Violin etude no.2
    Link

For violin, this etude has different bowing variations, but for bass you could come up with different combinations of hammer-ons and pull-offs or playing 1 note staccato and the following three as legato as possible and so on.

Tell me what you think of this idea.

2. DarthEntity

DarthEntity

Apr 2, 2005
    I don't
    Man, that was pretty fun. Thanks for the post.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I can't read notes. :(

4. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    I played violin for 12 years before I picked up the bass, and I remember that I didn't find those etudes that helpful. And playing violin never helped my bass technique :S

5. Thats pretty nifty, would be cool to see how you would treat the different articulations. Nice one!

6. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I love Kreutzer's etudes for bass. I have Abner Rossi method for bass and it contains some of the Kreutzer etudes adapted for bass. Very good for technique.

SB