1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger Ease as a RH technique aid! ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 2, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    As I'm practicing my technique I can feel that my right hand plucking was not as consistently right on the money as I'd like. As I focused on the issue I noticed that I'm getting more friction resistance and needing to overpower that friction resulting in (very slightly) wonky timing and accentuations.

I've used Finger Ease (spray) on my electrics for a long time, helping to eliminate squeaks and move up and down the fingerboard more easily. I'd always thought of it as a left hand aid. But I got to thinking, what if I sprayed a bit down by where the right hand plucks? What would happen? Well, it did exactly what I thought it would. It seems to be allowing more consistency in my plucking hand. When I dig in, I know I can come off the string as I intend which wasn't happening before.

Just thought I'd share if anyone was interested.

As for the left hand, I like Finger Ease for that too, especially with rough roundwound strings.... HOWEVER, on my left hand I've been messing around with an ultra thin cotton (photo print) glove and find that has some interesting advantages. Easy to slide around and it also seems to help mute open strings a bit better than my bare hand. I suppose it would keep the strings cleaner too, no?

Thoughts/comments?

2. I have not used this for awhile, however, as a carry over from rhythm guitar I would spray Silicone on the strings - up and down the fret board to keep the squeaks down. It also helped my hand movement between the notes/chords.

Lot of the old "good ole boy" lead electric players would also use this spray. I get mine from Walmart in the large 10 oz spray can. The one I have in my gig bag is probable two years old.

Like you said; offered for what it is worth.

3. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Wouldn't silicone spray gunk up the fingerboard?

4. Yes. Loosen the strings a little then pull them up and let them whack down on the fret board and most of the gunk comes out of the string. A soft cloth rub down ends the clean up.

5. Just remember kids, the first can is free, after that you gotta pay for it.
    I remember seeing an old guitarist, famous in his day, sprawled out in some alley behind a club
    we were playing at that night. He was lying there amongst the trash, hands shaking, surrounded by numerous empty cans of Finger Ease. He begs us for any spare change to get something to eat. We all gave him what change we had and he stumbled down the street in the opposite direction of the food store and into a Guitar Center instead.

JGbassman likes this.
  6. You get the same friction problem with new strings too? Maybe just try cleaning them. Personally, I don't want to rely on stuff like that form my playing, but I guess everyone is different.

7. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yep... New strings too... All my basses have strings aged 2 weeks to 4 weeks. Do you consider those new for the purpose of this conversation?

8. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I've used the stuff mostly for outdoor gigs when the humidity really makes everything sticky. In those situations I spray the entire string area and the back of the neck. Humid outdoor shows with a fretless and flatwound strings makes it mandatory. I always keep a can in my gig bag. I don't use it this time of year, and never when at home practicing. I wouldn't rely on it, better to find a way around the problem, unless it's a humidity problem.

9. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I hear you. I've got 4 Friday evenings in June booked. Not sure when I'll be on bass yet. For these I'll most often be on acoustic guitar so I don't really need or want the FE. Right now I have roundwounds on my basses and while the D'Addario's on my 4-string Squier isn't an issue, I have DR Pure Blues on my BTB which are particularly rough. The FE really helps on that setup and with my Yamaha (not sure which D'Addarios - original strings for that bass).

While I never used the Finger Ease in the picking area of my electrics, I'm finding it to be somewhat of an aid near where my right hand operates. It seems to let me come off the strings cleaner, particularly when raking. I've adopted the technique of alternating when ascending and raking when descending. The FE makes the timing a bit more predictable and precise. Perhaps in time I won't feel it necessary in that area once I've established and refined my right hand technique.

JGbassman likes this.
  10. Yup, I'd say that was pretty new, lol. I don't change my strings that often since the "new string sound" isn't my usual vibe. Actually, I did use Finger Ease in the past and it does work. I still use it on the back of the neck when I clean it.

11. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    If you must use something, there is usually enough oils on the outside of the nose or even the temples to make the fingers (and fretting thumb) slide along the neck a little easier.

Rather than sprays, if I were in a pinch live, I would use the first chance I got to sound an open string(s) or do some hammer-ons (depending which hand the dry fingers were on) and rub against those areas to lube them up.
    It was just enough to bail me out, without gooking up the strings as much.

Please avoid Finger Ease and silicone sprays at all costs*.
    I heard a horror story about a guy that was competing in a battle of the basses fundraiser that was so nervous, he ended up over-spraying the neck of his Steinberger with just a little too much silicone, and when it came time for him to execute a volante descending glissando, his fretting hand ended up soaring right past the end of the neck, and for a whole measure and a half, the poor guy's thumb and fingers ended up playing air castanets, until his brain kicked in.

*OK, so that paragraphs not true, but the other stuff is.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018