Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger injuries and bass playing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thathatman, Mar 21, 2003.

1. thathatman

thathatman

Sep 17, 2002
    La Mirada, CA
    Several years before I started playing bass, I got a portion of my left hand ring finger cut off. The resulting stub is misshapen and gimpy. It has no fat pad on the tip, so it is more difficult to put good pressure on the string. I have no feeling on the tip of it. And yet, despite all this, I still play bass.
    Anyone have anything like this happen? Any advice for working through the gimpiness?

2. You could always pull a Tony Iommi and get a cap thing made to put on the end of your finger, it seemed to work for him.

Although it's not the same extent as your injury, I've broken just about every finger on my hand through various sports injuries (basketball, soccer goalie) so my flexibility is not what it should be, but it's the same as any other obstacle really for me - just need to practice more until you get used to it.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Not as bad as either of your injuries, yet.....

Im a diabetic, so I do about 4-5 blood test a day and my finger tips are all torn up from this. I have lost all feeling in my finger tips from this and have developed large thick callouses, which actually helps me play longer with less fatigue.

What can be a problem though is that with some diabetics blood flow problems develop in the extremities. Though its legs and feet that usually develop most problems, sometimes the hands can have problems and need to be amputated. Im just hopping(sp?) that isnt the case.

Peace
    Nick

4. What's with "Nick" and diabetes? My name is Nick too and my dad has a mild case of diabetes. I don't want to develop it so I watch what I eat and exercise on a regular basis. Fortunately, my dad doesn't need to do tests but has to take insulin tablets. Ouch, 4-5 times a day...

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If your fathers diabetes was brought on by a bad diet, its a different kind than the one I have.

I have type-1 diabetes which is often called juvenile diabetes. It is usually caused by bad genes and has nothing to with diet. What happens is the body just stops producing insulin. Your father probably has type-2 diabetes. It is caused by a combination of bad genes and diet. In this case, the body still produces insulin, but it is ineffective and drugs are taken to either help the body process the insulin, or insulin is taken.

Peace
    Nick

6. That's something I've always wondered, and been afraid of (I can't stand needles).

Say you've just jabbed your finger, for the test or whatever; if you then go and play, doesn't it bleed?

/me is ignorant on this subject.:oops:

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, you get used to the needles very quickly once you realize they are a new and (virtually)unavoidable part of life.

As far as the cut opening, its not really an issue. I got diabetes about 2 years before starting bass and so I already had calouses before I started playing. When I started on bass those calouses developed to the point where it was very difficult to get blood from my fingers. At first I bled quite frequently though not seriosuly. Now, I can only rely on blood from my pinky and adjacent finger of my right hand. The rest are just too thick, but its ok, cuz now i dont need to worry about bleeding.

Peace
    Nick

8. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Wow. :meh:

I have a dumb injury... it's nothing near like any of yours. :eek: It's just this cut near my right thumbnail from an accident with a knife, and I can't put pressure on it, it's just too sensitive. Just today I was trying to play a slap line, and my thumb swelled up... Evil.