Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger injury

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by fdeck, Nov 16, 2004.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I got a nice deep puncture wound on the tip of my right index finger, and 2 jazz gigs this weekend. Any advice? By then, the finger should be playable with a dab of super glue but I wonder if there is anything for the pain. It hurts. For better or worse, I'm a fingertip player, not a side-of-finger player.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    When I was in "finger injury" mode, I'd usually take 800 mg of ibuprophen about an hour before the gig. It helps to have some carbs in you before taking these if you know what's good for your stomach.

4. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    paul I never realized you were from denver. of course you know Kent McLagen, I love that guy. I bet his finger hurts sometimes.

5. Yesiree, Kent's a close friend of mine and my luthier friend Bob Ross.
    Yeah Savino, his action is way up there.
    He has a brilliant mind for music and for coming up with great ideas for sound regarding the DB. He's an engineer and spends many hours with Bob trying new things in terms of sound for our instrument. He's made a couple basses that sound great!

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

7. thank you

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I was once bitten by a carpenter bee, right index finger, about ten minutes before downbeat. I ended up using a middle/ring finger combination that got me through for the next couple of days. My pain killer at the time was probably beer; I don't advocate that sort of thing now. It worked at the time.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    So far, it's one vote for heroin, one vote for ibuprofen, and one vote for beer :)