Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger injury

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leanne, Oct 16, 2005.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    So I cut off the tip of my left (fret hand) index finger earlier this week. For anyone that has experience with this: How long will it take to heal? Most of the part that is cut off has no feeling, will it ever come back? Will the missing part grow back? When can I use the Nu-skin stuff, can I use that before it is healed in order to play a gig without bleeding? Without pain?

Thanks
    Leanne

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh geez, Leanne! I am really sorry to hear that. Wish I had an answer for all your questions. Have you seen a doctor? If not, go pronto! And I would not recommend playing until you've seen one. None of us can tell you anything that's worth anything to you. The only thing I can tell you is that you've lost feeling, you may have done nerve damage and you may never get the feeling back. But again, I'm not a doctor and haven't seen your finger to tell, so don't delay in getting to one. Please!

3. Leanne, you're asking us a lot of medical questions that we can't possibly answer. Hopefully you've had medical attention.

I can tell you that I cut off the inside 1/3 of the first joint (no bone) of my left index finger in 1966 and they were able to reattach it (nice clean cut). It took about 3 or 4 months before I could play with that finger again and about 5 years before the fingernail and feeling grew back to somewhat normal. I was playing again after a month, but couldn't use the index finger. Kinda of a Django approach for a while.