Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger noise?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pcollin, Feb 15, 2006.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I'm thinking about getting an ABG to jam with my friends for acoustic nights and have tried several different brands/styles (recommendations from fellow TBers. Thanks, guys.). What I'm finding out is that my fingers make alot of noise when moving between strings. Is this a common problem for acoustic basses? Do I need to change the way I play? Are my calluses too built up from years of playing electric bass? It's really distracting and takes away from whatever I'm playing. One friend suggested a product called Fast Fret that's supposed to cut down on hand squeaks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Finger noise is can take a lot of forms, some of it desirable some not. If you are using round wounds for the brilliant sound, you will get some noise as your finger moves over the string. If you technique is good, economy of motion and muting usused strings will keep this to a minimum. If your nut is too low, sometimes you will get fret rattle behind the fretted note, you'll need a luthier to cut a new nut.

Use flat wound or half wound strings and that will eliminate alot of finger noise. Personally, I would rather have the finger noise.

Good technique is key to ultimate control of your note and articulation. I believe, as many other bass players do, that you need to use only enough energy to set the string in motion with the most harmonic content. If you are diggin in really hard, your gonna have a lot of noise, notes that choke and a host of other issues. Let your amp or PA do the lifting.

Finally, some of that stuff belongs in the mix. The sound of a guy really playing. If you listen to a bass track that was created from a sample, there will be no finger noise, nothing out of place.....and guess what, it's sterile.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My two cents:

- ABGs are for different tone options, but not for unplugged playing. 90% of the ABGs on the planet are a disappointment unplugged, but an interesting option plugged.

- Did you mess with the tone? Trying rolling off some of the highs.

- You'll probably enjoy flats with an ABG.