Finger Numbness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Uforia, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Ok, guys here's one for you?

I actually sat down with the Fender Jazz Geddy Lee sig bass and practiced some leasons. I played for oh about an hour to an hour and a half. That was even taking a few pauses here and there to rest my fingers. When I was done mfinger on my fingering hand were numb and sore. I could not feel the ends of my fingers the rest of the day and night. They were still partially numb most of the next day.

Now, here is the part where you come in. When you first started playing bass did your fingers get numb like that, if so how long where they like that, and at what point does it get the point where you finally build your finger strenght, dexterity and tuffness where it doesn't do that?
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Is it just the tips of your fingers, or a buzzing numbness in the whole finger or hand? If it is the latter, it might be Carpel Tunnel Syndrom, and you should see a doctor. If it is just the tips of your fingers, then I don't know what it could be.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No worries, its just an inflammatory response to extended playing that you might not have been used to. A little swelling and numbness is natural and nothing to worry about.

4. Sounds to me like a little and often is the way to go!

Can't say I've experienced numbness, but I do sometimes get cramping pains in my hand (or even further up my arm) - usually if I've been practising something where I'm repeatedly holding my fingers in the same position. With practise it improves as you build up the right muscles.

The skin on the end of your fingers will thicken too with practise - on both hands if you play fingerstyle.

Don't overdo it! :)
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Little often, then a little more often....etc...Progressive increase in prctice is much more efficent then playing to failure (muscle). Alot needs to be said for stretching and a good warm up as well.

6. I don't think it is serious. It is usually only the ends of my fingers. It only last for awhile but I just thought it was weird that it was still a little numb the next day when I pick up or touched things they felt strange. Embellisher said I just need to build my fingers and calaces.
  7. Very normal after a long session playing...

I still get slight numbness myself, mainly if my fingers are damp (holding da beer glass, sweating, missing the urinal badly).

Also, as callouses develop, you will find the nerve endings of your fingertips either start to die a bit, or are covered by thicker skin (and as such can't be felt as much, hence the numbness) - which is why some people file their callouses sometimes to gain "feel" back.
  8. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    man, when i first stared playing, the tips of my fingers were completley numb for two days. I thought my fingers were going to fall off :p
    Just keep playing and it will go away .
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That exxact thing happened to me!! I had only been playing for about a month and a half, and me and some friends got togethers to play a bit. Just foolin around. we ended up playing for almost 7 hours. Big Mistake:rolleyes: We took a couple breaks to nourrish our decaying bodies, but when we were done my hands were completely numb from the base of the finger. Lasted a good few hours.

10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez! Take it easy on the hands!:eek: You only get TWO in your life, and they're very delicate!

What I recommend is to start a normal stretching routine for about 5 minutes or so before you even look at your bass. There are threads upon threads that talk about some of these stretches, so do a search.

Second, try to practice every day and stop BEFORE you get to that point. See if you can increase the amount of time each day by a few minutes. When you can no longer play past that time, stop increasing.

If you start getting it after as little as 30 minutes of playing, stop for a week to give the fingers and wrists time to heal. If you still have problems, see a doctor.
  11. ....I had a similar experience with finger tip numbness, with a slight twist. I had stopped playing the bass back in the 90's. Just prior to picking up the bass again in 2000, I was suffering from fingertip numbness on my left hand. The doctors suggested carpal tunnes syndrome (being that I'm a computer tech & work on puters all day). I didn't think that was the case, but... whatever. Anyways, within a week of picking up the bass again, my finger numbness had subsided. In 2 weeks, I was cured! I thought this was pretty amazing, considering I had been suffering from it (continuously) for about 4 months. Strange, eh?
  12. Yeah, I have played a couple of times sence then just didn't play as long. It seems to be getting better or it could just be because I was playing the Zon fretless.:D Which has convinced me that my first bass of my own is going to be a 5 string fretless.
  13. I get it in my left hand pinky. It recently started when i got my 5, but was happening w/ my 4 before i got the 5, just more often now w/ the five. Its kinda scary, i run warm water over it to try to bring the blood back, and it sometimes works, but often it doesnt. I'll go to bed w/ a numb pinki (and i'm talking about the whole thing, not just the tip), and wake up 10 hrs. later with it still partially numb. Anyone know what it may come from?
  14. I've sometimes managed to whack the nerve that gives the pinky life several times, playing and not playing...kinda like smacking my funny bone, it left my pinky numb for a little while, then "odd" for a while later. Maybe summink like this?
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The fingertips on my fretting hand, and the index and middle on my right hand are always numb. I don't know why. Nerve damage?
  16. Just wait until they start bleeding........
  17. Yeah, that sounds about right...
  18. That reminds me of a blues jam i had back in aug. when I was on guitar... and well got carried away w/ vibrato or somthing, because at the break (after about an hour and a half), I looked down at my strings, and find them blood red, even grosser, chunks of skin cought in the coils (?) of the wound strings. Needless to say, i stoped playing after that.
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What type of bleeding? String Burn (from sliding up and down the neck)? The kind where blood starts coming out of the cuticles (sp?)? Or old fashion gashes and cuts from round-wounds?
  20. Thats basically what mine does. It usually gone bye early the next day. How ever now I have started to quit just before they start to get that way.
    So they don't bother me as much any more.Then I will play some more after I have rested.

Also playing and practicing on the Zon Fretless has helped.:D