finger oils?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jumbomatumbo, Dec 13, 2000.

1. jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    i have trouble playing, when my left hand fingers get stuck on the strings. i heard nose oil works pretty good, but is there anything else? i usually just lick my right hand fingertips, to get a good grip, and that works pretty well. There has to be an effective oil to keep your fingers slick.
  2. On my fretting hand, I've been using baby powder. My hands usually get sticky on the strings from sweat, so the baby powder helps. I've also used orange oil on my finger board, and that seems to help also. One or the other, but not both at the same time.

Nose oil?

3. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Here's a nifty li'l article from Fender's site --> Essential Oils

It discusses nose oil and some other ideas. Personally, my hands tend to get really sweaty. But a few minutes before I play, I always wash my hands. Sometimes they're too dry from the cleaning, so I use a bit of my endless supply of nose oil.

Also, there's some products like Finger Ease and Fast Fret available. One place I've seen them listed is Mars Music, but I'm sure there's other smaller retailers that carry it, as well.

(Whatever method one prefers, please be kind to your gear and wipe it down with a clean dry cloth and/or run a cloth dampened with alcohol [not the drinkin' kind] down your strings.)

Happy Lubing (?),