Finger order of 4-finger picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vhautsalo, Dec 13, 2000.

1. vhautsalo

Dec 6, 2000
    For those who use 4 fingers for picking, what kind of finger order do you use? I have been playing 12131413 (1=index, 2=middle etc.) for a while now, but are there any better options?

I searched the old posts for answer, but didn't find any real info. =(
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Whoah... I never thought of doing it that way. It just seems counterintuitive for me. If it works for you though, more power to ya. I only use three (sorry) but my order is ring/middle/index. I've tried to incorporate my pinkie but dammit the finger won't cooperate.
  3. EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    That's odd, I just do a rolling sort of pinky/ring/middle/index thing...yours really defeats the purpose of using 4 fingers in my opinion unless you always choose to use 4. I use 4 only when I need massive speeds, and using the same finger every other time would defeat the purpose. But like SuperDuck said, more power to ya.
  4. vhautsalo

Dec 6, 2000
    Yep, that's why I asked. =) I used to use three fingers with 121312-order for picking, and it worked great, but after moving to four fingers I couldn't find any better order... (I tried 4321, but it didn't work very well for me.) I'm thinking of going back to three.