1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger permutation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Help!!!!
    I'm going crazy

I just started 4 days ago

Learned a handful of intros
    About 8 in 3 days
    I'm a pretty big green day fan from back in the day, so I wanted to learn longview.
    After 6 hours over 2 days with just this song intro I have the notes memorized and down
    But the a5-d4-a7-d9 section always makes me rush the pace to hit the note and I can't help but feel it's got something to do with my finger placements on this whole song maybe if I try different fingers on certain notes it would help? I spent about 2 hours fooling around with diff. Permutation and I'm no closer.
    Any one else ever experience this on this song? Any advice?
    I've true youtube it's no help here

2. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    Tried *

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Some people are still getting used to holding the bass after just four days. ;) Experiment on what works for you. Yes indeed, try every conceivable combination of finger placement until you find the "right" one. Practice a hard piece slowly until you master it, then gradually increase the pace. I would also advise practicing for about forty five minutes at a time. Then take a break and come back to it. Two hours trying to work out permutations is nothing. Two weeks.....?...perhaps....!! Learning any musical instrument takes a LOT of time and patience.

You need to prevent frustration from setting in. This can be very counter productive. To do this, realise that everyone learns at their own pace. Everything takes as long as it takes to learn. If you keep slowly, methodically and patiently chipping away at things, they will eventually become second nature. So slow down, and be patient with yourself.

Happy playing !!! :bassist:

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Well, you have a single fingering pattern down. But you do not have the *notes* down, because you don't know the notes.

Whic is OK for only being a few days in. But start learning the notes you are playing, and start learning the notes on the fret board. Because then you would know several possible places that each note can fretted.

Here's a hint : D F# E C# can all be played on the D& G string without having to move your left hand. (that's just on possibility)

5. NAD1

NAD1

Mar 10, 2015
    I've studied this song quite a bit. Which section exactly are you having trouble with?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is why tab and youtube videos suck :).

Change your D4 to an A9 and life becomes much easier.

Also... use an online metronome, and play to that super slowly over and over and over. Play at a speed that you can play it perfectly, with ease. Then raise it a notch. And continue doing that, getting every note dead on. What happens is after a while your muscles learn learn it and you go on automatic pilot. You also learn to play really tightly and in the pocket.

If that WASN'T where you were having the problem, let me know and I'll try and help again.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I don't know the song, but I think I know what you mean. Sometimes you just have to work it out, I do. It's all logical, but sometimes it takes awhile to get the new fingering in your muscle memory.