Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger picking advice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dan1305, Mar 2, 2006.

1. hey, i was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me as i have been playing for about 6 months now, and i play mostly finger picking, but the thing is my index pick sounds ever so slightly different to my middle finger pick, has anyone got any exercises or something i could do to put this right?

thanks

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've only been playing finger style for about 1.5 years, which is good because I can relate. I think the reason is because your middle finger is naturally bigger and stronger than your index finger. My middle finger is definitely dominant, and is my lead finger, meaning I always begin with that finger. What *I* do, is just focus on plucking with a little more force with my index finger than with my middle finger to compensate for the difference in strength. I have found that closing your eyes really opens your ears. Just play a single note, 8th notes, with your eyes closed, alternating your middle and index fingers, and focus on grabbing the string just a bit harder with your index finger. The goal, of course, is to *not* hear a difference in volume between the two fingers. If you do this exercise for 3 or 6 months, it will become a habit. You can also do *any* kind of messing around type practicing, but try it just using your index finger, and purposely don't use your middle finger - it will give you more of an awareness of that finger, and how it feels when you've plucked the string with good force.

Hope this helps.

Skel

3. that sounds good to me, thanks for the help skel

dan