1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger Picking Hand Pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayermike1, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bassplayermike1

bassplayermike1

Sep 2, 2017
    I am a 63 year old, finger style, bassist who has played for 35 years. Lately I have been having pain in my right hand. I play right handed and I play every day. I play with two fingers. After a short time I get pain running down those two fingers from my hand. They feel loose, like they could full off. It can start after a half hour practice or at the end of a four set night. Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Since we can't see how you're holding your bass and your hand position, any advice you get will be a blind guess.
    You should talk to your doctor.

3. bassplayermike1

bassplayermike1

Sep 2, 2017
    I added a profile picture with me and bass. I have not changed my style in all of my years.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your wrist is bent too much. Tell that to your doctor when you talk to them.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. Could be carpal tunnel syndrome because your wrist is under pressure all the time. I'm not a doctor though.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but this really sounds like a textbook case of a repetitive stress injury (RSI), in your case likely caused (or at least exacerbated) by years of plucking with a severely bent wrist. You should definitely see a doctor about it if you haven't already.

If you intend to continue playing in the meantime, you need to adjust your right-arm positioning. Instead of resting your forearm lazily on top of the bass, hold your elbow out from your body so you can maintain a straight line from your elbow to your plucking fingers, parallel to the face of the bass. You might find that you need to make a small adjustment to your strap lengthen to find the most comfortable position.