finger players...bridge or neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 7, 2005.

1. do you guys play more towards the bridge or neck?

I play at moretowards the neck but it seems like all the accomplished players play at the bridge, what gives?
  2. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    im by no means accomplished, i probably didnt even spell it right. I like the neck pickup on my jazz. its got a touch of growl too it.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Neck totally. 49/50 times I want that mellow rounded off tone. But, if I wanna play some surfy rock or something I might move back to get some 'twang.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I play all over, but I often pluck all the way up at around the 16th fret if my left hand is playing low on the neck.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I pluck right over the neck pickup, since its a nice comfy place to rest my thumb.
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Depends on what sound you're looking for...

7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I guess I have a "neck oriented" right hand. Only pluck towards the neck when playing ballads or other slow groove stuff that require a deeper sound.

8. +1. Absolutely! ;)
  9. bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    it all depends on the articulation needed...i play everywhere - but 85% of the time between the pickup and the bottom of the neck
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's easier to play fast if you pluck at the bridge, because it's tauter there - so when you say "accomplished" players - if you're looking at very technical, high-speed playing - then that's why they're playing over the bridge.
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Neck. I'm normally playing straight triplets or 16th or 32nd notes so if I play by the bridge, my and gets mad tired.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Wherever it gives the sound I need at the moment. Most of the accomplished players I've seen aren't locked to one spot.
  13. I'm usually over the neck pickup unless I'm playing mostly on a D-tuned low string, in which case I play close to the bridge to get some articulation to the notes.
  14. Both, between, and beyond! :)

As others have said, it depends on the sound I want. I tend to default to playing between the two pickups on my dean edge (which probably translates to the middle, slightly favoring the bridge side on a jazz bass) but if I need to play a bit faster (and get a little extra articulation, which is important because my fastest 3 finger picking can be a bit muddy) I'll go closer to the bridge. For a rounder tone, I'll rest my thumb on the neck (I play 24 fret basses, so that's a little closer to the bridge than it would be on a fender bass.) If I want to get really round I'll play over the fretboard, generally between frets 20-23.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I generally play directly over the pickup that I am using - the advantage of this is that when I stop a note with only the plucking finger, I get a more complete stop - without lingering harmonics still ringing a little. Another advantage of playing over my soap-bars is that I can feel the pup with my finger tips, and don't 'dig-in' too much, so I tend to play more controlled and even.

When I use both pickups, I usually pluck (or slap, thump, pop, whatever) anywhere from a little to the neck-side of the neck pickup, to right by the neck itself. If I'm slapping or popping, then it's fairly randomly all-over in that area because BOY, am I a sloppy-popper (I still see the audience appreciatively gawking - I don't get it).

For a real round tone I'll use the neck pup, and play real close to the neck.

Then there are parts where I tap: if I'm tapping a little and plucking, then of course I sort-of have to pluck wherever I'm about to right-hand tap, which could be WAY up over the neck.

My favorite sound is bridge pickup, volume full-on, tone full-off, a little growly overdrive, and picked right-over to slightly on the neck-side of the bridge pickup.

16. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    It depends on the sound I want. Most often, over the neck pickup though. (Which is further back than most on my Bee.)

Also, pickup blend and playing with fingers or thumb and palm muting figure in to the overall sound too.
  17. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I play more towards the bridge usually, but sometimes I'll rest right over the pick-up on my Precision.

18. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I usually rest my thumb over the neck p'up so I'm playing in between the neck and bridge pickups. I'm closer to the neck p'up than the bridge though. :smug:
  19. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    My right hand is always moving back and forth.
  20. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Blend to the neck and play on the neck for a fat round tone (add some bass). Blend the the bridge and play on the bridge for the agressive bitter sound (add some mids).

There are half a zillion different options for blend + finger placement + EQ but I only really use two.