1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger playing problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mindaugas, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Mindaugas

Mindaugas

Dec 31, 2004
    Lithuania
    Hello,

I'm playing 1+ year and just bought a new Ibanez SRX500 (Korean-made). I was playing with ****ty old

Jolana (strings were about 1cm from the neck), so now when playing very fast and pretty agressive, strings hit the frets and give me the slap sound which I don't need and don't like. The strings are ~2-3mm from the neck now. Should I higher them?
    And I have another question: when I'm playing these very fast parts, with rhythmic groups, for example an 8th and two 16ths, my fingers aren't always alternating. I'm playing it 1-1-2 1-1-2 1-1-2, but I can reach a good speed, about 180bpm. Is this normal?

Thanx,
    Mindaugas

2. You could raise the strings if you wanted to keep playing aggressively, but I think you'll find it's easier to just increase your volume and play lighter; you can also increase your speed by playing lighter. You might want to also check the angle that your hitting the strings; if it's less than perpendicular by a lot that could be part of the issue.

As far as the alternating finger thing, that's very normal and pretty common. I think it's good to practice different variations of that too so you don't get in too much of a habit doing the same alternating patterns.