Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger playing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Gord, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I've been playing with a pick since I started on bass about 5 years ago. I don't know why, I just got a pick and learned that way. i've gone back and tried to play with my fingers, but it's just so wierd. I can't get it sounding loud at all, and I keep tripping myself up. I know practice makes perfect, so what kind of things should I practice? Will it get louder the better I get? Thanks for any help

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I can imagine the time that you will have to take to reset all youre settings on youre rig! Were is youre finger placing? I see alot of players that use picks play near the rear by the bridge. Might try to come up a bit!

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It will get louder the better you get, but you will never match the attack and punch of a pick. You will get a host of other tones you'll never get out of a pick though, so its worth learning.

The first thing you should master are so called "rest" strokes, thats where you anchor your thumb and pull the finger off the string into your thumb, then allow it to rest there for a split second before plyaing the next note. This is the loudest, most powerful form of finger technique. For more punch and clarity grow your fingernails out a bit and let them brush the string as you pull off, this will very closely aproximate the initial attack of a pick while still giving you the versitility and body of finger style play.

I'm sure a quick search here can give you a bunch fo good lessons/excercises for building your fingerstyle technique.

4. pharasoth

pharasoth

Nov 27, 2004
    I play with my fingers and sometimes a pick and sometimes i slap..
    My method is that I slap with my index and middle sorta, I just jab at it giving me that nice sharp slap tone and extra boost to the finger play. It's a very nice method, its just the way I learned. I also like to pop, with whatever fingers wasn't just being used to slap the string. Works for me :bassist:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Play without an amp. You'll subconciously play harder and louder to play louder. Also, sit in front of a TV and just play eighth notes for a half hour.

If you can't do it, practice just one thing. Don't through your left hand into the mix until you're ready.