1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finger Plucking, Finally Catching on

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bubble, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    After all the years of flicking my index finger, making a soft sound one note and a finger nail treble pluck on the next, I finally let myself get moving well on to two finger plucking. I do have problems with my finger nails snagging a string at the wrong times but it's getting better.
    But I found limitations and are now working a pluck that involves the index and ring finger. That's because my long finger sticks out farther and gets clumsy. The problem now is it looks like I am flipping the bird when I use the index plus ring finger, leaving the bird finger sticking out.

Don't forget the strings vibrate enough distance to cause some finger bounce.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Post a video. I would like to see your technique.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Hi Dr, Cheese, check out the link, you may find some info that may help.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I don't have a good way to mount a camera. I did find that reducing how HARD I pluck and tilting the neck up to play that way, puts the strings at an angle which evens the finger offset a good bit. Also keeping a bit of curl to the long finger helps even them out.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I practiced two finger plucking on a table top etc. and can keep perfectly on target but on the strings I start fouling up. Maybe managing two sets of fingers is going to take more practice. I also thing the vibrating string knocks my finger off target.