Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger positions shifting form C (A string) to G (E string) and vice versa

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lanzealot, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I know that it depends from the player's preference but being a beginner, I need some suggestions...

do I just bar the 3rd fret with my index finger?

do I use my middle finger in the G note, then use my index when going to C?

thanks!

2. scottz0369

scottz0369

Mar 1, 2005
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I'm sure there's a "correct" (i.e. professionally trained) way to do this, but I'm not professionally trained.

I suppose you could bar the 3rd fret, but you may run into a problem stopping the C at the right time. You could mute the A string with a right hand finger while hitting the E string with another finger, though. Barring causes a "open string" situation, and I try to avoid playing open strings because it's harder for me to control the note duration with them if I'm going from a higher to lower string.

The middle finger C/index finger G will work also, but finger position is critical here to avoid a buzz from the fret.

After sitting down and trying it, the best way for me to go from C to low G is to just use my middle finger (assuming I'm playing in C or G) to play the C, then moving the same finger up to G. The finger has to be lifted off quickly to avoid a fret buzz or sour note, but that seems to be what gives me the right combination of of note duration and finger positioning.

Your mileage may vary. Try all the different combinations and see what works best for you.

Scott

3. I'd barre it.

4. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    barre it, but to play the notes cleanly, you should press down with the knuckle to play the C, while letting up on the fingertip so that the G doesn't ring along with the C. When playing the G, press down with the fingertip, but let up on the knuckle so the C doesn't ring along. It's sort of a rocking motion.

5. Right, +1 to that.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ring finger C, middle finger G.

7. thanks for all the advice! guys

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I play a lot of root/fifth stuff and my answer is "all of the above".

Really, I don't think it matters too much. Whatever feels comfortable at the time.

I would tend to use middle finger on C and index on G, but as my fingers get sore ring finger on C, middle finger on G ala Turock. I also use just my index or just my middle finger.

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Middle finger C
    Index finger G

and a little pump to keep it good 'n clean

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I like it this way too. Leaves my index finger available to hit an F if I feel like it. Or a C on the B string...