Finger ramp project and prototype

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barticus, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    While I’m waiting on my new custom fretless build to show up in a few months, that I'll need to build a ramp for, I’ve started fiddling with another ramp idea for my Mayones to test out the process. I don't have a CNC setup yet, so decided to use my 10w laser to quickly fabricate this piece.

I decided to try a 3-ply approach with Purpleheart wood. Also wanted this to be removable/reversible so using some thin 2-sided tape on top of the pickups so it’s reversible and no adhesive on the body.

First I made a prototype with just corrugated cardboard to make sure I had the dimensions modeled properly and dry fit over the pickups.
    IMG_7385.png

The 2 bottom layers form the cavities and the top is solid with the logo etched. I then laminated the plies together with Tightbond and then shaped the top radius and shaped the edges.
    Ramp cut.png
    IMG_7390.png

Once that was fitted I cut 3 pieces of the Purpleheart, laminated them and then sanded shaped the final piece, laser etched the logo. I actually sanded the logo off completely when I arched the top and then did the final etching once all of the shaping was done.

Then I applied some thin adhesive backed felt and then removed it so it left just a very thin soft barrier. To mount to the pickups, I first tried the 3M contact double-sided foam tabs but they added too much padding and they really didn’t stick that well to the wood.
    IMG_7400.png

My approach to really seal the ramp down to the body was to cut some pieces of vinyl to the exact shape of the pick up to protect the top of the pickups and then found some really thin two-sided tape off of Amazon that has really good tack to it and so far this is working out pretty well. So the pickups are protected from any damage from adhesive, the two-sided tape is really strong so it is keeping the ramp from moving around and finally it is reversible and removable.
    IMG_7482.png
    IMG_7484.png

With the final etching completed, I finished it with just some Howards Feed and Wax and mounted it over the pickups.
    IMG_7486.png

I've been playing with this on my Mayones bass for a week and at rehearsal tonight and so far this has worked out perfectly, or just as I had expected.
    IMG_7490.png
    IMG_7434 2.png

2. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    I'm also planning to 3D print another prototype with some Ebony PLA that I have.

Beej and StevieMac like this.
  3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Nice work there, that's a clever way of getting it done. Proof positive there are many ways to accomplish what we want to build in lutherie. :) Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Vodyanoi, scott sinner and Barticus like this.
  4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Plus, it's always nice to see laser beams. Although it would be nice to see one mounted on a frickin' shark once in a while too. :woot:

dwizum and Barticus like this.
  5. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    YES this ^^^
    :woot:

Beej likes this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    At least get a shark sticker for that laser head. :smug:

Max Bogosity and Barticus like this.
  7. Looks great! Very creative way to get it done

so the vinyl has no adhesive to the pickups?

as you know I am 3D printing some kind of similar designs so these are great tips of how to secure the ramp “cap”

Barticus likes this.
  8. Padraic

Padraic

Jun 28, 2015
    Norman, OK
    It does look excellent! I absolutely adore purpleheart Inquiring minds want to know, which double sided tape did you use? I’m always looking for ultra thin, high tack, double sided tape.

Barticus likes this.
  9. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    So I used a 3M vinyl that I cut on my Cricut machine that has low tack so it essentially can be removed and no adhesive will be left behind it’s really good quality vinyl.

10. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    I love Purpleheart as well…
    So this is a great story, I was looking for a high tack yet removable double-sided tape that was thin. Everything I could find had a thickness to it that just wouldn’t work for me.

So the package shows up at home from Amazon and my wife opens it and says
    “why did you order bra strap tape??!!”
    :woot::woot:

But it was actually perfect as it was the right tack, very thin and I got 50 pieces for under $10! So I have no idea how it works for women’s apparel, but it works fantastic on bass finger ramps! :woot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2CMFV...t_i_ZDQHN96PFTVMEFR30FBH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

7967D663-1D68-407B-B312-C4190DB32D2C.jpeg

Max Bogosity and Padraic like this.
  11. Padraic

Padraic

Jun 28, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I love solutions that are outside the standard paradigms, and this makes me so happy! Thank you for the anecdote and the link :)

scott sinner and Barticus like this.
  12. Vodyanoi

Vodyanoi

Mar 24, 2020
    I did a similar thing to my SR600 and, while it does its job just fine, its design certainly isn't as sophisticated as yours. At some point I'll redo it based on your design; thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

SR600.jpg

Beej, Grueber and Barticus like this.
  13. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    Here’s the other double sided tape that I ordered, it showed up a few days after I used the first. I’ll keep this roll in my workshop it as it looks great, very thin.

They also have many different widths to choose from:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBJVU04?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

F9967E1A-4D14-43DE-BD07-886AC6915119.jpeg

Grueber likes this.