Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger Ramp Removal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phalanx, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    Hi, I've just installed a finger ramp onto my Yamaha TRB6II applying it using some double sided tape used commonly for arts and crafts.
    Now I don't intend to remove it but if i never realised how strong this tape is, and if I did want to remove it, how would I? I was thinking of heating it up with a hair dryer to make it easier to remove, the only other method I can think of is by taking the strings off and really giving it a pull.

Here's some pics, you can sorta see the tape in the second one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can sorta see the tape, the thing works great but if I ever did want to remove it, i'm not sure how

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You'd just take the strings off and give it a good yank. It'll come off without any damage.

Not to sound rude, but I'm not sure I can understand the advantage of a ramp that's not radiused. It really seems to defeat the purpose.

3. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    If playing over a pickup can prevent you from digging in too hard, so can that ramp, radiused or not :hyper:

4. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    yep, I just wanted to have a "dummy" pickup so I can play comfortably in the middle, plus Yamaha TRB6II have very little radius, even if it was radiused it wouldn't look like it

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This thread makes me want to do the same thing to my Status, a "middle" pickup near the MM "sweet spot" would be great. The top of the bass isn't radiused at all so attaching one should be not much of a problem. Now if I only knew where to get some nice wood to make one over here.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It would still give you the feel of playing over a flat pickup. Better than nothing, I'd guess.

7. Nice TRB, btw. Love the woodgrain :cool:

8. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    You will be able to get it off if you start at one end and use your thumb to 'pry' if off. The tape should release but it will take a couple minutes. Push hard on the end of the ramp with your thumb while rotating your thumb to try to lift the ramp. And keep that pressure, in a little while the tape will start to release.

If it doesn't:

Put a piece of cardboard on the front of the bass to protect it. Use a chisel to get under the very edge of the ramp and a little block of wood as a fulcrum and pry it off

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I get that. The thing is that a radiused ramp is very different. It's all up to the individual but for I like to get those that go through the effort of putting a ramp on their bass to go the extra step and radius it correctly. It really does make that much of a difference.

10. I've got a simmilar question, kinda: Once you do take the ramp off, will the foam tape still have enough stick to go back on solidly?

I love the Ebony ramp on my Ken Lawrence - but the white of the tape shows on the sides and looks kinda tacky. I was thinking of taking the ramp off and coloring the exposed sides of the tape black to match.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    By the way, nice TRB. I'd love to eventually get one of those as a backup. I'd do the ramp thing on it as well. That bass with a better preamp, like the OBP-1 with a tone pot or an OBP-3 would be a great little bass.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My suggestion would be to take it off and see. You may need to put new tape on the bottom.

13. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    You should be able to find a specialy hardwoods store near you and find a complementary piece of hardwood that would suit your needs. You can also take a look at the following link
    http://www.woodnshop.com/EXOTIC_LBL_LST.htm

They have many types of wood available in small hobbyist sizes.
    Temporary glues and adhesives should be easy to locate if you need that consideration for a finger ramp.
    http://www.adhesivesguide.com/Temporary.php

L. Howard

14. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Foam tape? I kinda figured it was carpet tape. I would never put foam tape on a surface without the assumption that it would need to be refinished if removed. That stuff has wicked powerful adhesive. And I don't think it can be reused because it will split through the foam rather than releasing the adhesive.

Hopefully someone can chime in here that has tried this :confused:

15. It should be fine. It's scotch doublestick foam tape. That's what Rob Elrick sends out on all the ramps he makes.

And before I put it on (by Brian R. Tyler's suggestion) I stuck it to some cloth a few times to ease up on its super-stickyness :p

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That stuff is unbelievably sticky. Ripped part of my brick wall off with it once.

17. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    well, I had to pry it off with my screw driver (luckily, no damage at all) but i'll be able to sleep easier knowing it is quite easy to take off. I have foam tape to stick it on but its incredibly sticky so i'd recommend something weaker, it does leave very little residue though with just some white bits of foam which I rubbed off with some tissue.