finger sounding picks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by henrya1953, Jan 4, 2006.

1. henrya1953

Jan 4, 2006
    gordon Pa
    I have been using a pick for speed that I dont have with fingers. Are there any picks out there that have a similar sound on the strings as fingers do? Thanks if you can adviz
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I imagine of you could find a fairly stiff but still soft one made of rubber it would sound softer and more like fingers.
  3. It's funny... I did the same thing, but then my fingers got faster while I wasn't watching them. My theory is that using the pick to play fast increased my Left/Right hand coordination and that carried over to fingers. I dunno. All I can say is that you should keep at the fingers while you're picking in case yours try to emulate mine.
  4. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I imagine there are others but the one I've heard of (never tried though) is a Wedgie Rubber Guitar Pick.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Several years ago when I was trying every different kind of pick I could buy to experiment with different sounds, I bought a pick made of a thick stiff felt. That would have to come as close as I can think of to the sound you want. YOu may not get the EXACT finger sound because the attack of a pick is different. Still with trial and error, you might come close.

I'll do a Google search and see if I can find out if these picks are still made.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, is selling felt picks at a set of 12 for $15.99 plus shipping and handling. Other musican's supply web sites have them also.

It might be worth a try. I'm not saying the felt pick will be exactly what you want. Much depends on the way you actually pick, the guage of your strings and the style of music you play.

I used felt a few times, but it wasn't a good choice for the nu-metal I played at the time. It might turn out to be perfect fro you.
  7. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I have a Wedgie and it feels good. :)
    About $1.50 each up here.
  8. +1 for the wedgies! They are more durable than the felt ones and sound as good.
  9. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Coolest quote ever made....

anyway Yea I use Rubbers! (not a bad quote either! :smug: :p ) they aren't bad if you pick softly it does sound like fingers.. I'm a finger guy but I tried the rubbers out cause my friend got them for my birthday. I quickly switched back to my fingers because i'm faster with my fingers, and I'm used to playing that way.
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Just as a suggestion and as a question at the same time. Would palm muting while playing help towards the sought after sound?
  11. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Well, if you've got a bass with wide string-spacing (like a 4-string Fender or Jazz), you can use your thumb.

If you go to, then click on "Videos" (left-hand side), then look for "Victor Wooten is showing his unique slap/pop style", you'll see a nifty way to use your thumb like a pick.
  12. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    This gives a very cool sound (I use it a lot), but doesn't really sound like fingers.