Finger squeak

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Jan 24, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've been using steel roundwounds for about 2 years now. I love the tone but I'm getting more left hand finger noise than I like. It's not alot but more than I want. It seems to happen most when moving down the neck, ie, towards the nut. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    maybe use a little less pressure on your shifting . . . ?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I know its your tone and its hard to change what you can relate too, but If you change the EQ you'll get less squeaking...also try and play things in positions that require less shifting.
  4. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I like a little finger squeak on the finishing touches of the notes but if it is too much for your liking then try just relaxing and even playing something a little slower. Then work your way back up to fast stuff again

from what it sounds like it's the old bass ball grip! (get it, get it???? I said bass ball when it should have been base... Oh never mind):rolleyes: ;)
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hate steel roundwounds for this sort of reason - once I discovered Nickel roundwounds I never looked back and steels just sound really horrible to me now!

Nickels really cut this sort of thing down, feel nicer under your fingers, but still have good harmonics and sound good for slap/pop.

Try some D'Addario Slowounds and I'm sure you will notice a huge difference!!
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You might also try a set of Elixirs. They aren't for everyone (I didn't like them) but their coating does cut string noise by quite a bit.
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks. I knew I could count on you guys
  8. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I swear by the Ernie Ball Hybrid's which are a nickel string. They are plenty bright and last a good long time with my chemistry.

I moved away from steel quite some time ago because they always felt "sticky" on my fingers -perhaps this is the same for you and is the source of some of the extra squeak you hear.

good luck!