Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger stiffness?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Dec 21, 2003.

1. ive been playing bass for about 5 months now. and I stretch out my hands/fingers before and after I play. and I noticed recently that my fingers are becoming less flexible and more tense. im having trouble stretching em as far. is this normal?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lately , after playing for about an hour, my fingers become quite stiff too. I usually just crack my knuckles and they loosen up a bit. Im afraid that crackign my knuckles will be bad in the logn run, so...im open to suggestions as well.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Get a set of those Chinese Iron Balls the Kung Fu guys use. They come in different sizes so you can find the ones that fit your hand best. A little larger is better than too small, because you want to be able to apply enough pressure and have enough surface area to massage your tendons. Do about 5 minutes in each hand, rotating both directions. I find they're most effective to warm down and remove stiffness/cramping after playing, but they could also be used to warm up. Works wonders.