Finger Stroke Noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dunivan, May 21, 2004.

1. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    endorsing artist: knucklehead strings
    i tend to dig in on the bass, and i find that you can hear my finger strokes when i play back the recordings...not so many clicks, but definite finger their anyway to counteract this?
  2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    play softer, lighter touch. use the "dig in" sparingly, it's a tech, doesn't have to be your style... :bassist:
  3. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ill try applying that, do you know of any eq settings or things of that nature that can terminate it? when i dig in live im afraid of the finger strokes being over bearing, thus for destroying any tone or sound that im trying to employ
  4. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Maybe lower the pickups a bit. They get too close that happens.

5. I have always had that digging in clanky sound. Not necessarially what I am going for, just how I have played. Lately I've been really concentrating on a lighter attack on my fingers and let me tell you, nothing changes the tone more than how you strike the strings. If you want a quickie fix try cutting the high end till you get what you want but that will never compare with your approach of striking the strings.

By the way, those noises are harder to hear live with a band than on a recording or practice.
  6. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL
    thanks for the info

i hear them alot in the monitors....maybe im anal or just scared....lil of both
  7. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    You could rolld off the highs and pump the mids, but really you should just work on not digging so much, if its a volume issue let the amp deal with it, you dont need to put yourself or your bass through extra trouble. I personally hate hearing myself in the monitors, normally I try to get as little bass in as possible, but thats just because I hate the way a lot of monitors make my bass sound (you have to remember monitors arent set up for sound quality, a lot of times they really lack in the low end.)
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    This is some really good advice!
    I'm the same way when it comes to digging in. I really have gotten used to doing it and it's very natural however I'm left with that unbearable clicking sound! I know it's mostly all in technique and learning to play softer and have less attack, and I honestly try to make the effort and ease up as much as possible. I've lowered my pickups about as far as they can go without sacrificing the majority of their output but when the excitement is their it still happens. I have very little problem in controlled environments such as studios and impromptu sit-down jams but up on stage at a show it just gets lost when the excitement hits and that aggravating "Flea/Korn/Click-sound" rears it's head.
    Guess it's all about discipline and hopefully I'll learn a better technique. Just wanted to throw my name up on this one because I've been eager to know I wasn't the only one with a somewhat similar problem. :)
  9. dunivan

Jul 3, 2003
    Ft. Myers, FL

can i ask what kind of bass you are playing? Im using a Ibanez GSR and have also lowered the pickups, and i still get the finger noise...i figured out what the clicking is coming from, a string is hitting the pick up (not rippin, i had to correct my technique to fix this)

Seems like were in the same boat....when i really think about not digging in, i conquer the sound...but as soon as my mind spaces...there it is again...

thanks for the info about the monitors...didnt realize they didnt really support lows, because the guitar is seemingly overpowering me through the monitors, and it gets me a little flustered...thanks for getting that thought off my back josh
  10. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dunivan I am playing a variety of P and J basses...all kinds of Fender, a couple of Warmoth homeades, and an Essex. I have this problem with all of them, including every other bass I play when I go to different stores as well and play basses of different types that are for sale. :meh:
  11. I think if you like digging in (i luv to that style of playing), but you dont liek teh clangy growly sound you get, switch to some flatwounds :p
  12. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd agree with the suggestion of learning to play more lightly. However, if you do want to adjust it through EQ, you could use the "identify and cut" routine. As you play, get someone to adjust the various EQ controls you have available (you can do it yourself as well but an extra person is, er, handy ;) ).

Start with everything turned all the way down and work through the controls, turning each one full up, playing a bit and then rolling it back down. This will help you hear clearly what sort of noises and tones are being emphasised in each area.

That's bound to be a bunch of ugly sounds as you're boosting such a narrow part of the sound each time. However, that will help you understand the 'palette' you're working with. You'll probably find that the noises you're talking about stand out much more clearly in one part of the spectrum; therefore, if you set up your tone shaping as normal and then turn that part down, you should find the unwanted sound reduced.

13. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I play a GSR200 too, and i've lowered the action, so i've just picked lighter, also don't play on top of the pickups, play inbetween if you are careful enough, if not go either side. Still lowering the pcikups would do the trick, but i like the loud output of the GSR

edit: you can always get some pickup covers