Finger technique drills

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Do you have any drills to help the fingers become more independent, faster, beable to stretch to the frest more. Just basic drills for either hand to help meimprove generally. My fingers could use some drills, especially using the 3rd finger on the right hand and using the pinky/ring finger on the fretting hand.

Any drills or placesto find any drills for just getting better hands in general. That way i will beable to be "practicing" instead of just playing.
  2. Ever heard of a book called Bass Fitness by J du Pres I suggest checkin it out and if possible have a notebook handy and copy a few exercises just don't let the person in the store spot ya I know its the cheap way but hey if you havent got the money
  3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I reccomend chromatic exercises.
  4. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Play 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and 6ths in 1 or 2 octaves. That will do the trick.

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    What is the reson for those exact notes?
  6. well i found one...

place both hands on the table palm down....
    lift the pointer finger(right) and pinky(left) at once
    then lift the middle finger(right) and ring finger(left)
    and work your way across the hands and back.

apparently helps coordinate your fingures. ya know, make your hnds work seperatly i guess.

cool drill i think
  7. ^, dude, thats hard...and i can playa ll the scales on piano
  8. I don't find it hard at all... and I cant play piano (yet, im currently trying to learn it by myself)
  9. Yeah that exercise reminds me of the stu hamn slap tap pop video I think he got that from Carol Kaye if I'm wrong please correct me
    Never the less a good exercise for independence
  10. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have an old instructional video by Michael Manring called 'Bass Essentials' (IIRC) which is dedicated largely to useful exercises to warm up the fingers, improve finger flexibility and independence etc. Worth looking out for.

Here's a basic description of one of the exericises. Using a one-finger-per-fret playing position, play all the possible permutations of 1 to 4...

11. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    That is cool. A nice little thing to do when you're some place that you can't play and such. It actually seemed to loosen up my fingers and joints a bit (afraid I'm getting pre-mature old man hands... :bawl: ).
  12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Man, I remember going over than the same time I was studying for a math test about probability.... math and music!
  13. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON

14. ...yay, drum rudiments...

Feb 11, 2005
    cyber school for bass has good lessons google it or bunny brunnel it's his site!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :hyper:
  16. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Here is an exercise that I learned from Bunny Brunel, probably 20 years ago. I think I once saw it in print by Michael Manring, as well. I still use it in my warm-up. It helps develop finger independance in your left hand. It also obviously exercises right hand finger technique. Every 2-note, left hand combination is used.

Key: 1-index finger, 2-middle, 3-ring, 4-pinkie
    Move from the E string to the A, to the D, to the G, and back, each time.

EtoG:12 GtoE:12 EtoG:21 GtoE:21
    12 12 21 21
    12 12 21 21
    12 12 21 21
    EtoG:23etc... GtoE:23etc... EtoG:32etc... GtoE:32etc...
    EtoG:34etc... GtoE:34etc... EtoG:43etc... GtoE:43etc...
    EtoG:13etc... GtoE:13etc... EtoG:31etc... GtoE:31etc...
    EtoG:24etc... GtoE:24etc... EtoG:42etc... GtoE:42etc...
    EtoG:14etc... GtoE:14etc... EtoG:41etc... GtoE:41etc...

Feel the burn, people!