finger technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Hey guys, this has probably been dicussed, but I cant find it.
    How many of you rest your thumb on the pickup when playing and how many of you rest your thumb on the E string?
    Why do you use that particular style?
    I always rest my thumb on the pickup, it seems so much more convenient then resting it on the E string, but watching a lot of artists play, I noticed that a lot of them rest their thumb on the string. I cant really see the advantage of playing that way. Can resting the weight of your hand on the pickup cause any kind of damage to the pickup, or interfere with the tone in any way?
    Thanks guys!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    People do that because it because it automatically mutes the string the thumb is resting on.
    A more sophisticated version of that is the 'floating thumb' technique, where the thumb rests lightly on the (lower) strings you don't play at a given moment.
  3. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I usually keep it on the E-string, except when plucking the E-string, when I just leave it in the air.

like JMX said, the advantage is that you automatically dampen the string,
  4. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    i also rest my thumb on the pick up
    that way you dont have to worry about it!
    i mostly use left hand damping
    weight shouldnt be a problem, because the strap combined with your wrist resting on the top of the body of the bass should cover this.
    if you press too hard with your thumb on the pickup
    it will tighten up your fingers anyway. you need a light touch to playwith any speed with your fingers :)
  5. I usually rest it on both, (not at the same time)

Just like JMX said... man, he is the man.. :) :)
  6. Thanks for all the input guys! You cleared it up for me. :)
  7. I rest my thumb on the pickup. I don't think it should damage the pickup at all. As long as you don't put all your weight on it. I only place my thumb there so I know what string my fingers are on. That way there's no fuss, no muss.
  8. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    On my jazz I rest it on the thumb rest cause the fretboard isn't as long as the ibanez, On my ibanez it goes on the fingerboard. Its an old habit from the upright and it works for me. On this subject it is definitely to each his own. You can site great players who never rest the thumb as well as ones that do. Thats why bass is great :)
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Now that I've switched to 5-string, I find the "floating thumb" technique to be an absolute necessity, otherwise the low B rings constantly.
  10. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i've always used the floating thumb technique, even though i'm self taught! it just feels natural. i rest my thumb on the pickup or on the edge of the fingerboard while playing on the e-string for better control.
  11. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I've been playing with thumb on the thicker strings doing the roots and fifths while noodling my fingers on the thinner strings. Works nice.

12. I don't remember, I have lost my guitar.
  13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i have no magnetic pickups to rest my thumb on.

this goes for my current bass (zon lightwave) as well as my previously owned rob allen mb2.

at first, it was a bit disconcerting.

but, now its really given me immense flexibilty with right hand fingering and muting.

i'm a floater now.

i'll never go back....even if i eventually buy a bass with a mag.

14. i rest my thumb on the edge of the pick gard. i find it aquard to play. I guess i got big hands.

You know what they say about guys with big hands................they have a big heart