1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finger tip on index finger hurts ..

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Demon, May 5, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Is this normal that when ur new to bass and play 2fingerstyle that ur fingertip of the indexfinger hurts a little when i touch something with it after i played for a while? Am i doin something wrong or will it get more durable and stop hurting after some month or weeks?

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If you don't have huge blisters, you didn't practice enough. And yes it will hurt....alot. You need to basically kill a lot of skin to build up callused finger tips

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I practice when i feel like it.. im not gonna force it cos i know ill be bored.

4. Then get used to having tender tips... ;)

5. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    you can solve that by in your off time..while watching tv or a movie or something...get a straighting iron..plug it in..turn it on..and while your watching the movie try to keep your finger tips on the hot part as long as possible. do it every day...eventually the pain of playing bass will go away (if you don't burn away your intire finger, lol) ...oh by the way..i'm jk

6. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    if u dont practice alot (like me) then it will take a while for your finger tips to become callused. my fingertips used to hurt for about 3-4 days.. in that time i still played, and held back the pain. my fingers dont hurt anymore.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Bored!? Hmmm...that's a feeling I'm not familiar with when I have a bass in my hands. I'll play until it hurts and then keep playing because I'm so UN-bored.

8. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Is this not what Super Glue is used for?

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I play when i feel like it, it might be an hour a day or 3 hours, depends, i got other stuff to do too^^ And i play even tho it hurts, that doesnt affect ifi feel like playing or not^^ im master at enduring pain^^

10. BigThunder

BigThunder

May 28, 2008
    I have the same problem. I found this while searchin after a long band practice and had to pick with different fingers. The only quick solution is to make the pain worse by pressing on it with your teeth or something, then when you play it doesnt hurt so much.