Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger tips?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Who here plays with you're finger tips? and why does this techique make people ask where I learned it from?

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    With your fingertips? As in, playing fingerstyle, or the Ryan Martinie finger-slap type of technique?

3. I mean you're left hand finger style, not you're right hand plucking.

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Other than using your fingertips, I can't see how else to fret notes on the fingerboard...

5. Could allways use you're tounge and start a new trend.

:ninja: :bassist: :D

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Nah, Gene Simmons already did the tounge thing. :)

I'm confused. If you don't play with your fingertips, then how do you play?

7. With my finger pads "where you're finger prints are", but then he told me to play with my tips, and I will get a better sound, and I did.

8. I played viola with orchestras and small ensembles for years. On viola and violin, the fingers come down on the fingerboard in a very round way, pressing the fingertip down so that your last bone is perpendicular to the board. It makes for a very clear note on a fretless instrument.
    The reason for this on viola and violin is that a tiny change in the angle of attack can change the note dramatically.
    I still play bass this way. It certainly requires more energy than a flat fingerpad, and makes muting other strings with the hand more difficult. However, it hasn't really slowed me down yet. I have had to adjust to save my wrist some, since the neck is held so much lower on an electric bass than on the viola.
    As for where you learned it, I have no idea.
    colin

9. BassManDave

BassManDave

Dec 19, 2005
    I play with the tips. It's a more natural hand position, and puts all of the tips on the same plane. It also requires less pressure to cleanly execute a note.

10. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    surely the finger pads are the best way to play because it gives more accuracy and control over one's playing. maybe i'll try using the fingertips instead, although i got the impression that the fngerpads are the most recommended by the experts.

11. aye check out my review of the deep talking strings from la bella, I'm using my finger tips in the sound clip.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've seen kids playing with their finger pads. I just shake my head at them and fold my arms.

13. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    My teacher plays with his fingertips and his tone is superb. He makes my Spector bass sound like a Spector bass, he gets the tone out of it that I bought the darn thing for. I've always played with my finger pads and now I realize why my tone sounds like mud next to his.

14. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    I depends on what you are playing! I find muting strings easier with a "flat" left hand playing more with finger "pads" especially for slap or playing funk grooves. When playing faster or more complex passages the finger tips allow a crisp clear tone. If you get a chance checkout Matt Garrison or Richard Bona's DVD's. In my opinion two great groove players that play some pretty fast stuff!!! They often change technique based on what they are playing!!! Check out Bona's DVD Africain Tale. He's an incredible talent!!!

15. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I think that's called touch style, or tapping.... could be wrong though...
    Peace