finger tone with a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by paz, Jun 5, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok, after seeing loads of threads on "how to get a pick tone with fingers" i thought id see what people would say to the reverse.
    do u rekon it can be done
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, maybe if you play with a slice of bacon as your pick?

3. Thread's been done before. Though, I'll put in what I put in the other:
    'Wedgie Rubbers'. Check them out. It's probably the closest you'll get.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I once tried to wrap a pick in duct worked for a bit but then the tape started peeling off and I got sticky goo on my strings.
  5. Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    I've used a felt pick, sounded pretty good, rubbers might be better though :eyebrow: :rolleyes:
  6. Its much easier, although not easy, to get pick tone with your fingers then vice versa. My advice? Drop the freakin pick, learn to play with your fingers, and a whole new dimension of low end will open up to you. And not just tone-wise either. I used to play with a pick when I was in garage bands in high school and I don't regret dropping it ever since. Learn your instrument for all that it is, not just for what you may want it to be at the moment.
  7. hahaha
  8. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    this thread was sort of a joke anyway, i agree if u want a pick tone play with a pick, if u want finger tone play with your fingers. its just some people cant get that into their heads.

i can play very well with my fingers when playing funk and blues, but its impossible to play some of the music i play with fingers, u simply cant play that fast with fingers. another thing i prefer the sound of the pick aswell.
  9. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I've found that 32th muted power-metal stuff works best with a pick, since i get more attack and a cleaner sound that way. On stuff a bit slower, i always, ALWAYS use my fingers, unless i'm playing some wierd **** (Post-nu-brat-brit-pop-punk) or similar ;)
  10. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    For someone as open-minded as yourself, it's hard to believe you would trash someone else's style. Can I learn the instrument as "all it can be" if I shun players that use a pick? Maybe if I stop listening to all these badass pick players I could be as good as you someday! :rolleyes:
  11. :bassist: It has nothing to do with that. I was not trashing your style at all. As a matter of fact, the first time I heard Matt Freeman of Rancid play that little bass solo he has on the ".....and out come the wolves" album I knew that I was hooked on bass. And he was a picker. Or he had 20 fingers. I wasn't trashing your style. My point in all of these pick verses finger threads that I have been trying to make is that you should explore all of you options before settling with a pick. The same way I did when I opted to stay with my fingers. Explore your instrument and whatever you decide from there is going to be a direct reflection of your style and preference. And there is nothing wrong with that. :bassist:
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Drop the pick! There's no reason to try to get a finger tone with a pick when you have your fingers with you.
  13. Good point, well made. The only reason I'd attempt to get a finger tone out of a pick is if the song genuinely sounds infinitely better with a finger tone but is too fast for my fingers. otherwise, I've always got my fingers with me. You can't forget your fingers.
  14. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I play some easy parts with my fingers, but the bulk of my playing is with a pick. If you want to get something similar to a finger tone with a pick, grasp the pick so that the tip is even with the bottom edge of your thumb. As soon as you strike the string your thumb will partially mute the tone. It's sort of a close approximation of finger playing. If you change the angle slightly, you can also get pick chimes ala Billy Gibbons the guitarist for ZZ Top--its kind of Jaco-sounding.
    I agree with other posts that say if you want to sound like you're playing with your fingers, play with your fingers.
  15. I think a pick has its place. and as mainly a finger player their are times when I will reach up and grab a pick all in favor of th best tone for that particular song or even just a verse of the song. its all about good tone. and whatever floats your boat.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why do so many people think you have to make a choice between fingers or pick? Why can't you switch off? Learn how to play with your fingers AND a pick and then it becomes a non-issue. And who the hell cares what someone else thinks? I couldn't give a crap what other bass players think of me using a pick once in a while. I would rather saw off my toe with a Dremel tool than impress other bass players.

No offense to you fingers snobs out there.
  17. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I will admit.. I think it is quite badass.. to just... totally.... switch from rocking basslines with your fingers to rockin basslines with a pick. I love playing with both.

I think anyone who disses the pick, and says you should only play with your fingers. Either missed the point of tonality. Or is just afraid picking up another complex technique.
  18. You could just remove the finger of an annoying neighbor and use it as a pick, too bad it's illegal. :ninja: