Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger vs pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SirMorgoth, Mar 6, 2004.

1. SirMorgoth

SirMorgoth

Feb 29, 2004
    i usually play with my 3 fingers! ( learned that from Iron Maiden) but now, i have to play some songs from Megadeth, and he uses a pick to play, the sound is way better with a pick for that group! so i would like to have some advices to how to play good with a pick!

thx!

2. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Hey there! The best practice system for using a pick is with a metronome (Period!). Practice 1/4, 1/8, 16th notes at a slow meter and increase as you get comfortable. If your attack is uneven or inconsistant you may as well not use one. Also, practice in "Playing Position" like you would at rehearsal or a gig. If you can pick like Chris Squire sitting down, it may not carry over when you stand up!

STORYTIME! :eek:
    About a year ago I scrapped everything I knew about using a pick and started all over again. Although I had been using a pick for a while, I just felt I needed to rethink it and shake up my playing.

I went to the music store and bought 1 of every pick they had...all the sizes, weights, and shapes...they may give you a deal too because they think you are nuts.. :p

I took them home and played along with some cover tunes my band does. I found 3 configurations of pick I like then tried them at rehersal. I now use either a Dunlop Ultex .73 (new technology pretty cool! Turning into my favorite), Fender Medium (cellulose - Personally found I could play the faster stuff easier but tears the thing to shreds!) or a Fender Heavy (the blue one).

Hope it helps.

3. Steve Harris only used two fingers, and he has said so in many interviews.

4. If you want to play fast stuff, make sure you've got a new pick. Even a little bit of wear can be noticeable. I tell myself time and again that little bit can't make a difference, but it does.

FWIW I prefer nylon picks. For years I used Jim Dunlop 1mm nylons (the black ones) and now for the past few years I've settled on Herco .75s. Best grip, best give, best feel- for me at least.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    When I use a pick, I use 0.88mm Dunlop Tortex picks. They are great for fast songs, with the right mix of durability, and flexibility.

P.S. What is the difference between a Tortex and Ultex pick? (never heard of "Ultex")

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I use mostly fingers, I get more control that way. Depends on what I'm playing though: for chords and ringing notes, I use a pick just because it's more practical. I usually use George Dennis 0.73 picks.

7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    It's important to practice alternating up- and down-strokes, as well as all down-strokes. When you're actually playing live you might not think about it, but when you're practicing it might be a good idea to practice both ways.

Also, you can try playing what you normally play with fingers with a pick. Doesn't mean that you have to play everything with a pick, just for practice's sake!