Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger vs. pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jcwillcanada, Jun 2, 2001.

1. finger

396 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. pick

100 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. funk fingers

33 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. ball peen hammer

6 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. carrots

21 vote(s)
    3.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcwillcanada

jcwillcanada

Apr 5, 2001
    Canada
    Hey, I've been playing the bass since christmas and I have ran into a bit of a dillema. I don't know whether to use my fingers or my pick. My jazz band teacher won't let me use a pick but my bass teacher does use a pick. I have sorta come to the conclusion that It depends on the song or riff I'm playing. Still, I you have any advice post a reply

thanx so much

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, JC. I'm gonna move this to Technique, where it should get the right kind of attention.

Will

3. mxpxbass182

mxpxbass182 Guest

Jun 2, 2001
    mass
    Hey Jamie, i think you should do both i for one use a pick but that depends on the music u play. My instructor says that i should use a pick cuz i play fast punk and its easier. well n e ways you do wat u want peace

nick

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    JC - since you've only been playing for such a short period of time, it seems that you've got a great opportunity to develop both fingers and pick! Since you're starting from the ground up anyway, so to speak, why not keep learning both? You can develop fingers like Jaco and pick chops like Anthony Jackson.

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, you should definitely use both, you won´t regret it.

6. I have been playing since about christmas too. I mainly play fingerstyle but i am starting to pick since last week. Its really weird when you start from finger, but it is worth it. No reason to not learn to pick.

7. no 'versus', let there be harmony among the techniques you use. at least learn both, and then choose one when you can make an educated evaluation about which you like better.

8. I think the no pick in jazz is a no brainer, but do what you want!!

9. use both if you can. otherwise, do what is easier for you or which you think sounds better. i use a pick cuz i think it sounds better.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Have you heard Steve Swallow?

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I can't really see any pros with using pick rather than the specific "pick tone" you get. I think speed is better accompished by fingers, but hey thats me.

Have fun,
    /lovebown

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ever heard Anthony Jackson? There's no way I could get the speed he gets with a pick to sound as clean with fingers.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Learn to use both, there is no rule that states bass players have to only finger pick.

-------------------------------------------------

I can't really see any pros with using pick rather than the specific "pick tone" you get. I think speed is better accompished by fingers, but hey thats me.

Have fun,
    /lovebown

I myself think that my speed is greater and even a little cleaner when I use a pick. But thats just me.

--------------------------------------------------
    Ever heard Anthony Jackson? There's no way I could get the speed he gets with a pick to sound as clean with fingers.

Whos Anthoney Jackson and Steve Swallow?

14. I personally feel finger is the best way, but picking is good for fast stuff. I started out fingering but im slowly regreting i didnt learn how to pick well also, its harder for me to play punk stuff and im aukward with a pick, so learn both

15. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    i use both, finger for the good ol' ballads and a pick for the hard core fast stuff. no matter what though learn music theory. that helps alot.

16. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    take this crap elsewhere. - Mod.

17. :rolleyes:

Well anyway, I started using fingers and use them mainly, but I'm starting to use a pick too. I used to be kind of ashamed, but there's no reason to be.

18. mxpxbass182

mxpxbass182 Guest

Jun 2, 2001
    mass
    once again, you can do watever you want either a pick or finger i agree wen people say use both

19. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Pick and finger is the way to go! :)

I started out using finger. I've been using finger for a while. Lately, I actually picked up those triangular things you guys call 'picks' and I used that. I too regret not learning both when I started bass. So, hopefully the younger players learn from the older players mistakes. So go for both!

20. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Definately learn both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.