Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finger weight really work?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BluesBassist, Apr 23, 2003.

1. BluesBassist

BluesBassist Guest

Apr 17, 2003
    NE Ohio, USA
    hey all, i am pretty new to the bass and have been looking for ways to get more from my practice time. i was looking through musicians friend magazine and saw an ad for finger wieghts. does anyone know if those are worth buying?

thanks in advance

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, they won't cut your practice time, if you practiec 2 hours a day and get finger weights, you should still practice 2 hours a day.

finger weights can increase the muscle in your fingers, but should you need more muscle?
    unless you are having a serious problem holding down frets. agility and dexterity is what you should want.

Oh and wrong forum bud, although labeled recording gear and EQUIPMENT, it is refering to recording equipment, this should probably go to general instruction, or misc.
    but that's not my call.

3. I'm going to move this to General Instruction

4. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    No.They're not worth buying.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    what he said, useless junk.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Waste of money.

7. Umm, but what if you have 10 small stacks of paper on your desk . . .near a window?

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Close your window.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I thought you Amercans all have air-conditioning... :p

10. No A.C. for me. My middle name is suffer. Last name is Nshutup.

11. I've heard bad things about things such as those. I think they do more harm than good. Apparently some piano player from around the turn of the century built a machine to increase his strength while playing, he ended up destroying his hands and could no longer play. To strengthen your hands play more, dont resort to weights.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I can believe it.

The thing is - with bass guitar, strength isn't really the issue. You don't need great strength to play - what you need is agility. Technique doesn't come from strength.

13. Exercising with a normal weight will do much more to your fingers if you do certain exercises, thant those tiny things.

and Besides... All you should do to improve speed and strenght in your fingers, is practice.

So forget buying those jokes and practice scales!

;)

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My wife got one of those "Grip Master" things for rehab after an arm injury. My kids and I tried it out for fun and I was the only one in the family that could depress all the buttons easily even one finger at a time.

How did I get that strength? FROM PLAYING THE BASS.

You don't need finger weights, you just need to log the hours playing.

15. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    They give you some unneeded muscle, and it really cuts into your flexibliity and dexterity, I used them for about a week, then said **** this ****. Stay AWAY!! lolz, _-soto-_