Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finger weights?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ross, Jul 30, 2000.

1. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    just wondering if anyone has tried them if so what did you think of them?

------------------
    save the trees ban john turner conklins

2. BassoOstinato

BassoOstinato

Jul 31, 2000
    I'm not sure you really need finger weights. Billy Sheehan shows an exercise in one of his instruction videos in which he tries to raise the finger of one hand, but resists the movement with one or more fingers of the other hand. He says it is very effective. It also seems more natural to me. I think you'd be less apt to get hurt or overdo it his way.

But I'll fess up and say I never heard of finger weights. What are they...like weighted rings that you slip over your fingers? Do they operate independently or must all fingers work together as a unit?

I tend to be suspicious of artificial devices for strengthening fingers such as the "Grip Master", a $12.00 device that comes in various resistances, is held in the palm of one hand and each finger can operate independently. I think the best way to strengthen the fingers is to play your bass. But maybe there is some point to such gizmos if you are in a place where you don't have your bass handy, such as waiting in a doctor's office or in a movie theater.

OSTINATO

3. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BassoOstinato:

But I'll fess up and say I never heard of finger weights. What are they...like weighted rings that you slip over your fingers? Do they operate independently or must all fingers work together as a unit?

OSTINATO
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> they look like rings that go on your fingers and they have weights on them that can be adjusted 5,10,15 grams of resistence you can see for your self at musicansfriend.com

------------------
    save the trees ban john turner conklins

[This message has been edited by ross (edited July 31, 2000).]