Finger Weights??/

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ProjectGenome04, Nov 23, 2002.

1. I had a pretty interesting idea today, as I just finally got my class ring last night for high school and today I had auditions for regional jazz band, and as I was warming up this morning I noticed a change in my picking hand. I use three fingers and my ring finger was lacking the same speed that it usually supplies and I had a hard time figuring out why I wasn't playing as fast as usual. Then finally I realized, hey idiot, you've got a ring on. So, as I thought about this I came up with an idea. FINGER WEIGHTS. My question to you guys is whether they exist or not. Because fingers on a bassist are like arms on a baseball player, the more strength you have in them, the more you can do. Bad anology, but you get my point. Would this idea help anyone increase their finger strength and picking technique?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Someone was faster.

And they're crap. It's all about dexterity, not strength.

Like Gary Willis said in his instructional video, you already had all the finger strength you need for playing bass when you were 3(!) years old.
    The rest is proper technique.
  3. They exist, there's been numerous posts on them. Whether or not they work depends on who you talk to, personally, I'm pretty competent with 3 fingers and haven't had to use weights ever. Though some people say different.

Still, the only surefire way to increase your picking/plucking/whatever technique is the old-fashioned way: practice, practice, practice.
  4. I agree a lot with what you say, I'm rather proficient with playing with three fingers and I was just wondering if the idea of fingerweights would be better than something like those guitar fretting hand things that you squeeze. Because you're still getting the same technique by hitting the strings with your fingers, but you're building the muscle in your hands. Thanks for pointing out the link, but it seems like its not worth my time. I'll stick to the practice, practice, practice root.
  5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's dexterity you want, not strength... Oh *##$ it, this has been beaten to death in the past.

6. Robert Schumann pretty much ruined his solo piano carreer by fooling around with finger weights. I wouldn't even try it. Really, through a good solid practice routine, you'll naturally develop all the strength you'll ever need.

Be very careful with repetitive and strenuous exercises. They can be very harmful.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...hey that sounds like a GREAT idea.

Well, I'm off to do a few reps on the tongue-o-flex and then maybe some nipple raises. Later all..

brad cook

8. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    cock pushups for me :D
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uuuhhh...that's takin' the joke too far.

I'm sorry I inspired that.

brad cook
  10. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    sry, its a tenacious d song ;)
  11. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm of the opinion that finger weights, grip machines etc. are not a good idea. Improve your playing by playing. These devices are dangerous and can mess your hands up. They apparently work for some, but it's not worth the chance when you know that proper playing/practice works.