Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard care

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Catalin, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Boiled linseed oil.

2. I've been using just a little bit of lemon oil on my MTD wenge board for years now... just a cleaning about once a year. Seems to work fine. Michael recommends lemon oil for cleaning, and then mineral oil for 'sealing' the fretboard, but I've never felt the need for the mineral oil step... the wenge looks and feels like 'new'.

3. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    Here's usually what I do. On a new instrument with a virgin board I use two coats of Watco Natural Danish oil, the first coat goes on and sits for 5 minutes and then gets wiped off with good cotton rag, then a second coat goes on and is wiped off after a minute or so. Pay attention to the surface after the oil is wiped off, there is the possibility of "weeping" where more oil oozes out (usually around the pores) and needs more wiping otherwise it collects on the surface and looks crappy. On old boards I first clean the board with Naptha (use gloves) and a piece of gray scotch brite, then wipe clean with a paper towel to get off the dirt and finger funk that builds upon the board and the frets (you'd be amazed how much crap comes off), then I put a coat of oil on and wipe it off after about a minute following the same procedure as above. I’ve done about 7,000 fingerboards this way and had nothing but good results. I hope this helps.

4. Tnks for replyes guys !

5. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    I usually just rub it with lemon oil when I change strings