Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard Chart

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Slaine01, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Are there any Fingerboard charts on the net that I can download?
    I am having some problems with locking in my "thumb" positions up and down the neck.
    I know that Lemur music has a couple in their catalogue but am looking for something not 'life - size"

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, found them on the web yesterday, was on a several hour binge finding and adding links to the Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html - you'll find the link in the first section. As I recall, though, it only goes up to the sixth position.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You really don't need a chart. The bass is laid out like a graph, with 4ths going across the fingerboard and the chromatic scale going the length.

Now, and this is where I use electric with students, play the major scale starting somewhere on the E string in a four-fingered manner. It fingers:

2- -4
    1-2- -4
    1- -3-4
    1- -3-4 (on into the next octave of the scale)

Now lets pick a scale to work on. In this case, C.

C-D
    E-F-G
    A-B-C
    D-E-F

This shows you that if you put your second finger down somewhere, the notes under your first finger will be the major seventh (not indicated above), third, sixth, and ninth (second). Under your second finger lay the root, fourth, flat seventh, sharp ninth (or flat third). Under your third finger lay the minor second, flat fifth (sharp fourth), major seventh, and tenth (third). Under your fourth finger lay the second, fifth, octave, and the eleventh (fourth).

Other things to note: Going back to the fact that the bass is in fourths going across the neck, the maj 7th, 3rd, 6th, and 9th are right from the cycle. An octave is two half steps up, and two strings up. A fifth is two half steps up and one string up. A major third is one string up and one half step down,...

Take this and similar ideas and you can teach yourself the entire neck in a week or so -- if you have some theory together. Two weeks if you're starting from scratch. After the octave (double-dot), the neck just repeats itself, of course.

4. Thanks guys;
    What I am really looking for is a picture of the neck/Bass with the correct thumb poitions marked not just the notation.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Aussie, Aussie, Aussie,Oi,Oi,Oi,
    (Sorry - The Oscars are on!!!)

5. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    Ray Parker, I'd like to thank you for your patience and willingness to help with your reply here and in other posts I've seen-You really take the time to give free advice to other players out there who might not be as "seasoned" as some of the other stalwarts I see posting regularly on this board.For instance, your descriptions of the chordal relationships in this post are helping me with some theory issues I'm currently studying, and help in some neck visualization practice I'm currently doing while sitting in my little shack in Topanga Canyon.Actually some of the posters on this board make me feel like a theoretical dufus, with the inflection of some of their posts; as if we all were hatched from the womb playing Giant Steps.
    So, hats off to you, your website and fingering position primer, and your playing is very nice as well, I've checked out some of the tracks from your record. Incidentally, I am a long-time jazz drummer,and wide-spanning musician/producer here in LA, who has recently had the vision to start playing the URB-So, thanks again--

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well -- thank you for your compliment and I'm very glad that I was able to help you out. We're all in this war together, right?

7. I too would like to thank all of the posters here who take the time to share their experience and ideas with those of us who maybe just beginning the endless road to learning and playing this awesome instrument.
    I have been playing Electric Bass as a professional musician now for 20 years but have only just come to terms with the fact that picking up a tune by ear and actually UNDERSTANDING the make-up of a tune are two totally different things.
    A special thanks to Bob Gollihur (excuse the spelling) who has always answered my e-mails as an aqual and not as a salesman.
    And to all other players out there, no matter what level you feel you are, who take the time to answer our questions and not make us feel stupid for asking.
    We recently had a few of your NY Firemen over here as a chance to show our support for what happened on Sept 11 and I talked to one who used to play drums in college.
    Within 2 minutes we were bitchin about guitarists and singers, aghhhhhhh it's a SMALL world. Peace.

8. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Ray is a great asset. One word of warning though, never, I repeat, never bring up the whole Ghostbusters thing. He is still so pissed-off at Huey for suing him he can't see straight. Turns into a raving maniac.

Just thought you guys (slaine and telarcfatigue) should know.

You can thank me later.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That's the other Ray Parker.