fingerboard choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan2112, Jun 11, 2003.

1. ok, out of curiousity, what would YOU pick if this was going to be your bass? i have it narrowed down to a couple choices but let's hear some ideas! :)

2. floyd with the quick response! :D

(it's going to be fretted, by the way)

keep em coming!
  3. you could go for light, which would brighten up the whole look of the bass, or go dark, which would maintain a constant, even darkness.
    for light, i'd say something with a simple grain, so it doesn't look too busy and crazy. if dark, stick with ebony (becuase i said so!;)).
  4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Flame maple with bass clef inlays, I miss my old Warwick, why did I traded it? :(
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Birdseye maple would look like a million bucks

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  7. i wasn't going to jump in so soon, but yeah, right now birdseye maple is in the lead for me. (adrian's first suggestion to me) ;)
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yeah, man- buckeye burl and b-eye maple makes for a hideous bass!! ;)
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    birdseye maple has my eye, but for a little less looks and more tone, I might go Morado/Pau Ferro
  10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Well, if you want to keep the darker look, defintley go for ebony. That would just look awesome IMO.

BTW-Bass Guru, why did you trade the warwick? Those inlays are gorgeous.
  11. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    actually scratch that about the Pau Ferro, forgot a second there that the tones I like might not be the tones you like, plus after playing on this maple fretboard KSD for the past hour or so I'm liking the maple sound. MAPLE ALL THE WAY! :)
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Shouldn't the more important question be what do you want it to sound like? :confused:

I think either ebony or maple would look just fine personally...
  13. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I was crazy... well, actually, I needed a good 5 stringer and I traded it for a StingRay 5, I miss the old Warwick...
  14. I would pesonally go for birdseye. Another option I would at least look at would be pink ivory.

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Headstock veneer to match the body. Ebony FB. Black or ebony knobs. Black hardware.
  16. Like everyone has said, there are several options that would look great - what wouldn't with that beautiful burl body?!!:D

Birdseye maple (if you want that maple snap) would kill; morado would be more traditional sounding and looking.

My own choice would be figured macassar ebony - the king of the fretless, but just as rich sounding on a fretted instrument. :)

Oh yeah - and get matching burl knobs like Adrian's F - that just looks so complete!
  17. Let the top speak for itself! The bass could become a bit busy looking, as well as confusing for the eye, with a highly figured fingerboard wood. Plain ebony, or maple if that's the sound and look you're after, would look the best, IMO.
  18. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    What he said.

Black polished ebony FB with no inlays. Subtle but killer!