Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard coating question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THC, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Hi. Does anyone know if there is any coating on the Fender MIM jazz fretless? I have a '97 "vintage" that looks like, what?< Pau ferro? Or a light rosewood? (I'm not an expert on woods.) I also have a carvin that I coated the ebony board with tung oil. Wear is acceptable to me on the Carvin, but the jazz seems to be taking a beating. So looking closely at it, it appears to be bare wood. I;m contemplating using tung oil on that also. However, I like the sound of the wood better than a coating (in general). But I would like to slow down the wear. No, I refuse to use flatwounds, I must use nickel rounds. I must. Thanks muchly.
    Tom

2. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think tung oil will protect the wood at all. It just soaks into the wood rather than forming a protective coating on the surface. Your Carvin is wearing less because the ebony fingerboard is harder than the fingerboard on the Jazz.

3. So is the Fender coated or not?

4. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    With a softer fingerboard wood like rosewood, you will probably get serious wear with roundwounds. If you are really against putting a hard coat on the board (which *will* change the tone), then you can give Tru oil or fingerboard oil from StewMac a try. Forget about tung oil for this.

One other option would be tapewound LaBellas or the Goretex-coated Elixirs. They are roundwound and to my ear, sound good.

As always, YMMV.

elwood

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Play the bass with the strings you like and don't worry about other stuff! Life is short, play hard.
    Fret wear? Bah! Anything can be fixed. TONE is what matters!

6. Pssst there is no fretwear on a fretless bass :)

What kind of wear are you we talking about? is the wood getting grooves in it or what?

7. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    correctamente!

elwood

8. Yeah, it's getting the grooves beat into it. On the most frequently used notes, the grooves are getting deep. (Ha , good pun) Since it's a reasonably priced instrument, I don't really mind the wear, but I would like toslow it down a little. But I'm kinda stubborn about strings. I won't use anything other than nickle/rounds. I should prolly get a radius block and just sand it a little. Something I would NEVER do to my Pedulla! Ouch.
    Tom