Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fingerboard dots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvon, Jun 27, 2003.

1. clean

64 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. dots

52 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. block

31 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. inlay

17 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    what is your preference about dots?
    I prefer the look of a clean fingerboard, no dots or block or inlay. Nothing!

[​IMG]

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I like it clean. Especially on those Chachinga Maple Purpleheart Birdeye Burl fingerboards.

3. Demonfish22

Demonfish22

Jul 31, 2002
    Bath, England
    IMO no fingerboard looks better than an unmarked, dot-free fretless. It's also pretty impressive when people see you playing something completely unmarked.

4. I like the dots on my P's. I like dots :)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think block inlays look great almost all of the time, but otherwise I usually prefer it clean.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well...

[​IMG]

...definitely clean for fretless, but for fretted I'm undecided...

- He loves dots, he loves dots not, he loves dots, he loves dots not... :p

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree (though it's not impressive at all to other fretless instrument players like violinists :)) .... But I can't play my fretless without the dots on the side of the neck. :eek:

I like to feel wood under my fingers, and know that the string is resting on wood when I fret it. But I like indicators telling me where I am. That's why I like dots.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Doesn't matter to me. I have an unlined fretless, a lined fretless, one fretted with no markers, one with blocks, and several with dots. I like them all.

9. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I like the trapazoid inlays (Was that a choice?). I had trapazoid's on my old bass, but that was stolen:(

10. Sometimes inlays can be interesting (like the Warwick yin/yang), but I generally favor a clean look. One thing that I really like is a blank fretboard with a contrasting binding, like the "neo-classical" style used on many archtop guitars. Will be having that on my Nordstrand.

Mike

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No real preference for me....

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I voted for clean... I definitely prefer that for high-end basses. For fretted Fenders and Fender-style basses, dots are fine. I've never liked blocks.

13. Clean, clean, clean for my F Basses (that's what I voted).

But I am also a traditionalist, and my Fender Jazz V and Lakland Skyline Glaub look more authentic and "traditional" with dots.

Of course, block inlays are just for Gibson geetar players...
    :p ;)

14. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    For higher end stuff, depending on the wood n stuff, probably clean with dots on top. For my KSD I love the inlays, but dots are fine too

15. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Diamonds instead of dots are pretty :) Here's pics of my bass in progress from Darrin Huff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Matthew

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty good either way, I've owned clean and inlayed, an neither bothers or tickles me. Even being a wild monkey in an area with almost no light, I'm able to navigate without missteping.

Other than that, I know I do like side dots that are nice and visible, but I can go either way on the dots/inlays.

17. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    uh? :confused:

I like really fancy non-position marker inlays.....like on that one fretless Jerzy Drozd....that or clean. I like block or trapezoid sometimes too.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    for me... it depends on the bass....

*p-basses, I like the simple dot marker.
    *70's j-basses, Blocks!
    *Nordstrands, nada... and it looks great like that too.
    *Warrior, just that sword is hip at the 12th fret.
    *Benevente, the wood blocks that are the same color as the bass, hip!

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I need dots because I play rock music.

20. I've always had a thing for the big block inlays on the 70's Fender J basses... just looks so classic.
    But other than that clean is the way to go.

Glenn